Chapter 7: Manik

"Yes I am aware uncle but the deal was ours and it went down to 8 million per month" I tell him, my uncle hovered me with questions about the deal.

"But is this how you fucking do it? Tumne seriously 20 percent company ko daav pe rakh diya, do you have any idea what could've happened?" I could hear his gritting his teeth in anger from the other side of the phone. He was in New York right now and my uncle as in he is my bua's husband but he was in the family business too because of my bua.

"It was a risk I didn't think about it, agar maine nahi kiya hota then I would've lost us the deal" I try to argue back

"It doesn't matter, agar tum aisa karte rahe toh I will have to talk to neha and we can re think about your ceo position" what the fuck? Who does he think he is? I only put up with his bullshit because he is my bua's husband and I respect her otherwise I wouldn't put up with him at all's

"I mean it got us a fair deal, that's how you do business"

"Don't argue back manik! And do not teach me business. Make sure you know ki tumara focus kis pe hai, I don't want any mistakes we finally got a chance  after many years. A golden chance. You do whatever it takes Lekin iss baar hum jeetne chahiye, is that understood?" Even if I wanted to, I can never forget that day and how it changed my whole life around and the people who did it.

"I will never forget that, I have my eyes on it but let me do the business myself I got it handled" I reply to him.

"Okay, talk to you later" he says and ends the call. I throw my phone on the bed feeling frustrated, My uncle reminds me of those days everyday like I have forgotten but I haven't and I never will, those were one of the darkest days for me. It felt like hell and it still does.

My phone starts ringing again, I lean over to grab it to check who it was—tanya—she had called me earlier asking for a second chance, I really thought she understood after the phone call we had but she keeps calling like an obsessed ex so, she asked me if she meet me over dinner to which I agreed so I can physically go tell her that she needs to stop.

"What" I answer coldly

"Just reminding you of our date, the table is booked we have to be there in an hour" she is like those people that just want you around for her status, showing off around her friends that she's dating me or she's had sex with me, it's like it gives her reputation a cherry on the top. The dinner we had in restaurant she would always act all touchy in front of the people and staff there. I hated it.

"You don't need to remind me, I'll be there" I roll my eyes.

"Sweet baby, I'll see you I promise I'll make it up to you" ya right, she's gonna get a shock of her life.

"We'll see" I say and end the call, I was already dressed up good so I decided to keep the suit on which I was wearing and didn't bother getting changed.

I grab my keys, wallet and my phone heading out, I go downstairs and spot Nandini on the couch with a tissue box on her side. Isn't she supposed to be at work? It's only like 6:30 yet and why is there a whole tissue box in her hand?

It's been a week since mine and Nandini's last proper interaction, she had asked about my dad and after that I avoided her I don't know why but it felt right too, and she didn't try to either we only talk if we had to which was like once but other times we were pretty much avoiding.

I walk over to her and oh my god, she looks like she's been through hell. I'm guessing she's sick.

"Nandini?" I look at her in a little shocked look

"hey ma—" before she could complete her sentence she started sneezing: one, two, three all consecutive sneezes. She scrunched her nose wiping it with the tissues she had. Right that's why she has tissues. She looked so adorable—her cheeks and nose were were pink like she had put blush on it, her eyes were watering up from the sneezing. Never someone has looked so cute while being sick.