Chapter 04: Crossing Paths Again?

Start from the beginning

"Why? If it's about a plot, just get a reference from some other book."

"I have a plot, Jim."

"Then what's the problem?"

"I cannot write it. Not so fast."

"Lav, come on."

"If you give me enough time I will write you one."

"How much time do you need?"

"Around four months, and that's a bare minimum Jim. Even you know that."

"I can only give you another three weeks."

"Fine. Ask Bates. Or Marcus, whoever. Not me."

"I'm begging you please! We need to publish another book to give Bates time to finish his! We always have some book published at this time of the year! It's going to look bad if we do not publish something quick." Jim fell on his knees. "My answer is final. Your request got me killed in Bilsburg." Lavender said. "Don't do this to me Lavender. You're the only person who can help me out!" He pleaded, holding her feet. "Jim! Get up!" She gasped, stepping backwards. "You need to do it." He said. "Why me? Did everyone else die?" She rolled her eyes.

"They refused." Jim made a crying face with a small child pout. "So, what makes you think I can be persuaded?" Lavender scoffed, making Jim look at her with a 'that's obvious' face.

"I'm out of here."

"Lav! You need that extra attention from readers!"

"What I need, is a vacation. I'll be leaving for Rome next week."

"Lavender!" Jim cried on the floor like a child, watching her leave. Lavender walked down the building with a flawless look that made the employees go 'wow'. They always stared at her whenever she paid a visit in the company. It wasn't her fault that she was beautiful, after all. Her phone rang the moment she reached the entrance building.

Jim.

"Why is he like this?" She whined, walking out of the main gate before even checking the way. She got startled when a car honked at her face. She lost her grip on her purse which sent it flying away, getting frightened. She tried to back up in a panicked state which caused her to trip and fall backwards, only to be held by the hands she didn't know she would be touched by again.

"Y-You..." Lavender muttered, staring at the man. "We meet again, Ms. Hills." Tristen smiled, holding her by the waist mid air. A small shy smile appeared on Lavender's face as her hands held his shoulders, which she suppressed.

"Mr. Killings." She said with the same formality. "Ahem, ahem." Brendon coughed from behind them, breaking the moment. Tristen pulled her back up and she quickly took a step back. "Your bag, Ms. Hills." He said, handing it to her. "Thank you, Mr..." Lavender trailed off.

"Brendon. Just Brendon."

"Thank you, Brendon."

"What're you doing here?" Tristen asked. "I'm here for work. I should be asking you instead." She replied. "I'd say the same." He smirked. There it was again. That glimmer in his green eyes which made Lavender lose herself in them. "So, you finally found me." He scoffed, putting his hands in his pockets.

"Yes, let's just say I did." She said rather sarcastically. "You look beautiful." Tristen said, out of the blue. "H-Huh?" Lavender dropped her sarcasm in an instant. "Your dress, you look just like your characters; as if you were living inside a book. It's beautiful." He said.

"How did you know about me?" She asked out of surprise.

"You came out of Kilns Word Publications."

"Cut it out, you just talked about my characters. You knew about me all along, didn't you?" She smirked, getting a little flirty with her body language. She took a step towards him to close in the distance.