22

Àyànfé

"Wowwww AY, who would have thought you could keep such a secret away from me" Nafisa gaped at me with wide eyes. "You just told me you were on punishment, without telling me what you did"

My Dad finally relaxed some of his rules, and allowed me to go over to Nafisa's house. He still hasn't returned my devices, instead, he gave me a small Nokia phone and a new sim card—so dramatic—to keep in touch with me.

"I know, I know" I grinned sheepishly. I just finished telling her about 'The Kanaan predicament'—as she just titled it.

"You are so sneaky bestie" She shook her head, staring at me with narrowed eyes.

"What?" I giggled. "It's not much of a big deal"

She almost strangled me. "How can you say that?! It's a fucking big deal! So you was fucking with your brother's homeboy, and you think it's nothing?"

"Ahh let's not even go there. TK almost killed me" I laughed at the memory.

"I could imagine" Nafisa laughed with me. "What was his reaction?"

"Bro he didn't talk to me for daysss. He was just avoiding me like a plague, and when I finally confronted him, he was so damn mean. He even said he'll make sure to keep Kanaan as far as possible from me" I summarized.

"As far as possible ke? Kanaan seems like a pretty chill guy" Nafisa chuckled.

"Exactly what I said!" I nodded in agreement. "But baba said Kanaan is a fuck boy, and that I can't date him and stuff"

"Wait, has he asked you to be his girlfriend?" She asked in excitement.

"What? No!" I giggled.

Not a bad idea though.

Nafisa let out a deflated "Oh"

"This Kanaan we are talking about sef, when last una two don yarn?" She asked. I leaned back on the couch, thinking about her question. [When was the last time both of you talked?]

"It's been almost two weeks oo. You know my Popman seized everything from me" I shook my head.

"Ahh Jesus, can't be me. I'd have found a way to see him" She said, kissing her teeth.

"I know, bad child" I rolled my eyes.

"And he hasn't tried reaching out to you?" Nafisa asked, standing up to go into the kitchen.

I followed her. "Babe you know how my Dad has been caging my life ever since he found out. There's was absolutely no way anyone could find me, except in tutorials sha"

"Then he could have come find you at tutorials" Nafisa shrugged, peeling a banana. I picked up a clementine from the bowl of fruits on the kitchen island.

"Wo don't stress me" I chuckled. I wasn't even about to overthink stuff.

Ding dong!

We looked at each other with raised eyebrows.

"I thought your people wouldn't be back till tomorrow?" I asked. Nafisa had told me earlier that her parents and younger brother were out of the country, and wouldn't catch a flight back till tomorrow.

"Yeah...I thought so too. Meh we check who dey there"
[Let's check who's there]. We left the kitchen, and went to the door. I looked through the peephole and was surprised out of my mind to find Nori standing outside the door. I'm sorry to say, but...she looked like shit.

"Who's there?" Nafisa whispered to me, with curious eyes.

"Omo na Nori o" I sighed. We hadn't seen Nori in weeks, since she stopped coming to tutorials(Mr Salako later informed us she started taking classes online), and anytime we went over to her house at Allen Avenue— which was totally against her instructions, a help would come out to tell us she isn't at home. Every single time. Nori blocked our calls and us away from her life.