9

Àyànfé

"Ooh not the Angel Anosike calling me" I laughed as I picked up the call.

"Stawppp" She dragged, laughing with me.

"Hey girl. How are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm good o. You nko?" She answered. [What about you?]

"I'm doing good too. Thank you" I replied. "So to what do I owe this honorary phone call, my queen?" I teased.

"Ughh Àyànfé, you are never serious" She laughed again. It's been three weeks since Angel's birthday party, and we've been keeping up with each other, and I could say we're good friends now. But she's not part of the clique...at least not yet.

"So I'm organizing a game night at my house this weekend and I'm inviting you to join us. It's nothing too big, just me and about two dozen other people. Nafisa's coming and I also sent Nori a DM on Instagram" She said. "And your cousins can come too"

"Two dozen people? Babe that's twenty four! And I know there's definitely a lot more people coming" I exclaimed. "That's a whole party"

"Don't be dramatic A, it's not a party. Just a group of teenagers playing games and socializing" She said. I could literally feel her rolling her eyes.

"I'll think about it sha" I replied.

"No don't think about it. You have to come. I want you to come" Angel said. Everyone knows if I say "I'll think about it", it's most likely a no.

"And Kanaan might be there" She added, and I just knew she was smirking. It's no secret how I feel about Kanaan now. Ever since I told her I "kinda" liked her cousin, she had been using it against me.

"Shut up. Even if I was to come, it is not going to be because of Kanaan" I lied with my full chest.

"Ahh oniro oshi nie" Angel busted out in laughter. I gasped, because I was very surprised to hear her speaking Yoruba. [You are a stupid liar]

"Where the fuck did you learn to speak Yoruba?" I asked, surprised.

"My Mom is Yoruba o, and she made sure to teach my sister and I the language growing up. And I can also speak Igbo very well too, cos of my Dad" She explained, proudly.

"Wowww, I'm so jealous. Like you're multilingual" I didn't bother hiding my awe. I loved when people actually know how to speak their native language, not just English. It's so attractive. Unlike Nori, who can't speak one bit of Urhobo even if her life depended on it. She could only speak English. I made sure to taunt her about it anytime I was chanced.

"It's my pleasure. Now don't you dare change the subject, you are coming and that's final" She said sternly.

"Fine I'll come... only if Kanaan shows up" I finally admitted that I wanted him there.

"That one na small thing. We go run am" She assured me. This girl is so full of surprises.

"You speak pidgin too?" I asked again. [Broken English]

"Wella" She replied. [Very well]

"Damn you're full of surprises" I said, impressed.

"You know the vibes" She replied. "My Dad's calling. Love you boo, bye!"

"Okay, love you too" I replied, ending the call. I got up from my bed and stretched my body, before leaving the room.

___________________________

"Ohh my God Monifa! I told you the substitution method is the easiest, use it!" I snapped at my sister. I was currently helping her with her math assignment, and she was giving me a tough time.