19

Kanaan

Pick up the godamn phone Senah.

I watched my phone as she ignored my call for the seventh time. I could feel my blood boil. She picked up the call at the very last second, which honestly surprised me.

"What Kanaan?!" My sister yelled into the phone. "You could clearly see I didn't wanna talk to you!"

"Abeg abeg! Aren't you ashamed of yourself? Your own mother has been in the hospital for months now and you haven't visited her, not even once Rosenah!" I yelled back, feeling very frustrated.

"No be you go tell me wetin I go do, leave me the fuck alone!" She groaned. [You're not the one who's gonna tell me what to do!]

"Mom misses you so much Senah" I could feel my voice crack. "She wants to see her daughter, she needs you. We still don't even know why you left...I miss you sis"

She paused for a second before scoffing, like she couldn't believe what I just said. "I'll find time to come see her"

"That was the same thing you said last time I called, and all the other times before then. Promise me you'll come see her" I said softly.

"I'll come oh. Shebi na me talk say I go come?" She replied rather aggressively. [Wasn't it me that said I'll come?]

"I swear if you don't come Senah, I won't ever call you again. Just know whatever string still holding us together has been broken. This shit between us is dead" I said, before ending the call abruptly. I flung my phone away from me, and watched as it hit the window of my car violently.

Which kind wahala be this?

I just needed to hear someone's voice to calm me down.

My phone started to ring, and I picked it up. Ayanfe.

Just the person I needed.

"Hey" Her soft voice called out.

"Hey A" I replied, taking in her calming voice.

"Are you okay Kanaan?" She asked, like she could sense I wasn't.

"I mean I'll be"

"Do you wanna come over to talk about it? Cuddles on my soft ass bed and shit?" Ayanfe asked, her offer tempting as hell.

"Your brother's not home?" I asked instead.

"Nah. He's been out for long with my Dad" She replied. "Basically no one's home"

Well...shit!

I pondered on it for a second. "You want ice cream?"

"Yes please. Mi—"

"Mint and chocolate" I cut her off, knowing exactly what she was about to say.

"Huh, I was boutta say Vanilla but go ahead Mr. Mind Reader" She lied heavily.

"Ehh! Oniro o!" I laughed. [Liar]

"I'm very serious jor" Ayanfe laughed with me.

"Whatever shawty. I'll be at your house in about an hour" I told her, before starting my car.

"An hour?!" She asked incredulously. "That's a freaking long time you know?"

"Babe I'm not even close to your place at all. And remember I still have to get you ice cream?" I replied, chuckling lightly.

"Aht...ehn I don't want ice cream again. Be coming" Ayanfe said, and I couldn't hold my laughter in any longer.