Chapter 46: Water

Start from the beginning

"When you're next to me... I can take on everything." His voice was gentle, the words washing over me like a warm summer breeze. I exhaled and snuggled in closer, safe in the knowledge that he would protect me no matter what, but fear clenched my heart.

My lips hover over his as I whisper softly, "Me too." Suddenly, all of my worries have vanished, and I'm ready to take on the world with him by my side. I look into his eyes, and in that moment, I feel like the luckiest person alive.

What if they won't agree? I can feel my heart beating faster, and the fears that have been lingering in the back of my mind start to creep up.

In his embrace, he has created a new world for me, one that I am terrified to leave. It's turned into a home for me. My devotion. My hope. It scares me to lose it. This place has become a refuge for me, a place of deep love and passion.

Those rough hands are my medicine, my heart's song, and my light, for that is love. Love squeezes the senses together, just like when enough stardust is squeezed together, a new star is born with its own gravity and light.

***

His rough fingers entangled mine as we walked up to the entrance of a restaurant. SUVs encircled the structure. I could tell by looking around at all the men in suits waiting outside that they were here for more than just a meeting. It felt like we didn't have much to offer, but we were together, and the feeling of his warm embrace felt like enough.

Nothing can be done except hope that all goes well and they accept Matteo's proposal to eliminate the black list. This was causing me to sweat, which was only made worse by the warm, humid air that hung heavily in the parking lot. I waited anxiously as I watched the men in suits enter and exit the building, all the while contemplating what my future would look like if things did not go according to plan.

One last deep breath, and we walked into the restaurant together. It was clear that the fate of the company and my future were both riding on this moment. But being so close to Matteo was everything and more. Despite the high stakes, I knew in my heart that he would not fail.

Four men sat around the large coffee table. My father's eyes met mine, and atomically, my hold on Matteo's hand tightened as I watched him step forward with courage and confidence. I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride as I watched Matteo take his place at the table. I took the seat next to him. The atmosphere was thick with anticipation as all eyes were fixed on Matteo and me.

My hands were under the table like sweaty clams. Despite my nerves, I managed to keep a calm exterior. I held my breath and waited for Matteo to make the first move.

Matteo looked focused and dangerous in the room with these powerful men. His gaze swept the room, looking at each man with intensity, as if he was taking measure of them.

"Cut to the point. I don't have all fucking day. Why are we here today?" Matteo was challenged by the man in the blue suit, whose eyes were forest green.

Matteo placed his hands on the table and paused for a moment before speaking. "I'm here to ask for an alliance." Matteo's voice was low and resonant, yet he spoke with authority. The man in the blue suit studied Matteo for a few moments, not saying a word.

"Why all of a sudden?" Another man answered, reclining in his chair and finishing the rest of his whisky with a smug expression on his face. His stern expression made me feel like I was about to choke. I could feel Matteo tense up beside me in anger.

My father did not say a word. He just nodded his head in agreement and looked off into the distance. I know he knew, but he wanted Matteo to speak the words first.

"I think we're ready for something different," Matteo replied gruffly; his words were sharp enough to cut the tension. Matteo's remark was met with a scoff from the other man, who put his glass down and said, "Cut the bullshit, King."