11. a smile for a smile

Love couldn't stop herself

Love couldn't stop herself. Jonathan could be pretty convincing. He had a way with words and he had used his way with her.

She was so excited that her feet wouldn't stay on the ground when she stepped out of the house two days later with her two suitcases being dragged by her father. She found Jonathan standing with the trunk of his Sedan open. She couldn't see him properly as he arranged her suitcases inside the trunk after her father had brought them to him.

"Are you sure about this, darling?" Love turned to find her mother looking at Jonathan in concern. "Landon would be very upset."

"Mom, I need a life outside Landon," she said, grabbing her mother's hands in hers. "I have sacrificed enough for him. Just because he is my fiance doesn't mean he gets to control me. This could be the opportunity of a lifetime and...it's not like I didn't ask him to take me first."

She shrugged and that only made her mother's expression appear more sullen.

"But honey, this is Jonathan," she stressed in a hushed voice. "He is young and a man of the military. He is hot-blooded. Sending you alone with him screams disaster to me."

"Nothing's going to happen, Mom," Love stated. "Jonathan is a good guy and I'm engaged." She lifted her hand to remind her mother of the engagement ring she was wearing. "Now, leave such bad thoughts and give me a hug."

She grabbed her Mom in a tight hug before the latter could say something more. When Love released her and turned back to the car, her heart skipped a beat when she spotted Jonathan slamming the trunk shut.

He looked ravishing. His face seemed to have been sculpted by sharp granite with a 5 o'clock shadow covering his chin and cheeks. The royal blue half-sleeved T-shirt he was wearing was firmly fitted to his torso, making her imagine all those muscles he was hiding under the clothes. His biceps bulged out and it made Love wonder if those traitorous muscles were what was making her mother fear for her. A pair of jeans and boots and a sunglass covering his magnetic eyes completed his outfit.

Even with his sunglasses on, Love could feel his stare on her as he broke into a lovely smile, the crook of his left cheek showing a dimple.

"Good morning," he wished her, walking towards the passenger's side of the car.

He opened the door for her and Love found her knees growing weak when he gestured for her to enter the car. She turned to give one last glance to her parents and found both of them looking worried. Her father had his arms crossed, giving Jonathan a strictly assessing look.

"My daughter is getting married," Mr. Johnson warned Jonathan. "You better bring her back safe and sound, boy. And no funny business."

"No worries, Mr. Johnson," Jonathan reassured. "Love will always be safe with me."

He spoke the words to her father but she knew the depth in his voice was for her. The muscles in her lower belly squeezed and off went her heart as it thudded loudly against her rib cage.