10. an offer from a gentleman

Jonathan was agitated

Jonathan was agitated. Standing at the far corner of the room, watching the couple who made his eyes ache, he had had enough. He had come to the wine tasting to accompany his sister only to find out that Love and Landon were coming with them.

It had been awkward seeing Love after everything that went between her hand and his cock in the trial room of the mall. He was ashamed of himself for letting that happen. Not only did he not stop her, but he had also come all over her hand like a high schooler. He didn't want to know if Love had ever given Landon a handjob before and if she had, God help that goat because nothing would save Landon from Jonathan's wrath.

He watched them intensely as Landon grabbed Love by an arm and she seemed to wince. They were engrossed in a deep conversation for a while, a conversation that appeared agitating to both. Jonathan was focused on the feminine form more.

She wore a tightly fitted, backless dress today. Her hair was left open in a straight way, covering her bare back. She had done minimal makeup but she appeared to him as the most beautiful woman in the room. He wanted to reach out to her, wrap those locks of hair around his wrist and pull her to him, kissing her deeply.

He wouldn't be behaving with her the way Landon was currently behaving even in private. She looked hurt and was twisting in his grip while he looked down and kept saying something to her he couldn't hear with the sound of the music and other people chattering around him.

"Here, try this."

Jonathan was made to tear his gaze away from Love and Landon as Ava appeared before him with a glass of a new flavor of wine in her hand. She pushed the glass toward him and he took it.

"What's this?" he asked, peering down at the small ounce of liquid in the bottom of the glass. He had tasted two others before and Ava had been searching for the perfect one.

"Pinot noir from the Californian region of..." Ava trailed off, looking thoughtful. "I don't remember. Forget it!"

Jonathan took a sip, the taste of the wine meeting his tongue delicately. When he brought the glass down, Ava was watching him with an inquiring gaze.

"It's interesting..." he commented. "Pray tell me why aren't you drinking again?"

She sighed, taking the glass from Jonathan and coming to stand at his side, facing the direction he was facing.

"I wish you hadn't been away for so long, Nathan," she said. "You know nothing about me. I have zero alcohol tolerance."

Jonathan felt a little pang in his heart to hear her. She was right. He had no idea about anyone anymore. He didn't understand his own family now. It was like he was a stranger just living with them. Even Clary had changed over the years and now, with his father gone, Jonathan no longer knew his mother.

"It's not my fault, Ava. I had work to do," he tried to defend himself uselessly.

"Oh, stop it! Ask yourself if you'd believe that and then talk to me...Now..." She peered around the large, round room. "Where is Love? I left her and Landon a while ago here."