07. suspicious

Jonathan watched from a corner as the stout guy he had once called his best friend lifted a carton of eggs to place it on one side of the grocery store

The shop was small but cozy with everything at hand. Since Scarlett Hill wasn't that big to have a shopping mall of its own for such stuff, these small shops were the ultimate thing. The place had only one shopping mall which was expensive for anyone with a minimal income. It was for people like the mayor's family or of the Johnsons.

Bonny Charles stood up and sighed deeply, rubbing a shin of sweat from his forehead. The man had gathered a lot of belly weight during his time in prison where he had served for attempted robbery thrice.

The man of twenty-seven was otherwise a good man except for the times when his need and greed got the better of him. Today, he was dressed in a white round-neck T-shirt and baggy jeans. His rogue face had an annoyed look on it as he looked around the store with beady eyes, finally spotting Jonathan.

"Is that really you, mate?" the blond-head Bonny shouted in a British accent, his thin lips spreading across his face to form a grin.

Jonathan smiled in return. "In the flesh, buddy."

He walked up to the store and let the stout but tall man wrap his arm around him. They were almost of the same height and when they hugged, Bonny easily laid his chin on his shoulder.

"Seven years man! You're one cruel guy," he remarked when they let go of each other. He spread his hands, gesturing for Jonathan to look at him. "Do you see how I have changed? Swore to not rob this time. Got married even."

Jonathan noticed the ring on Bonny's fat finger as he wriggled it in front of his eyes. Unexpectedly, a pang of jealousy went through him at the sight of the ring.

A vision of Love wearing a ring of their marriage as he took her to his bed flashed before his eyes.

He shook his head, letting the smile come back on his lips.

"Congratulations, Bon!" Jonathan playfully slapped the man's back as they both walked into the store.

Inside, he was greeted by a huge number of goods yet to be stacked neatly behind the counter. There were fruits, vegetables, cereal, dry fruits, tubes of toothpaste, brushes, paint materials, electronics, bakery items, and a mix of everything tiny one could buy in front of him.

"You gonna keep all that here? It's like a mini shopping mall," he said to Bonny.

Bonny laughed, throwing his head back. "It's all my lovely Ginny's idea. She suggested we start with a little of everything."

"And when can I meet your Ginny?"

"Oh, she's out to visit a friend of hers. It's the woman's delivery date."

"That's sweet. Won't you let me have a seat then?"

"Yeah, yeah...come in, come in!"

Bonny brought out a bench from behind the shop, surprising Jonathan at his undeniable strength as he picked the wooden thing up with both hands. He placed the bench near Jonathan and they both sat down, Bonny's pink with exhaustion.