Prologue

Ingrid Bergman as Nathalie Burgess

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Ingrid Bergman as Nathalie Burgess

"With the world crumbling, we pick this time to fall in love," 

- Ingrid Bergman, Casablanca (1942)

My darling Nathalie,

No matter what happens – no matter how much you hate us, you have every right to. Your father and I are on a very dangerous mission. We wish you nothing but to be safe. And that's why we had to leave you to this kind family that vouched to provide you with love and support.

I hope they've made good of their promise.

Mommy and daddy will be back for you soon, but if we won't, then you're going to be the one to complete our mission. You're the only one who can, and when the moment comes, you'll know exactly what must be done. You are a proud, talented Burgess. Mommy and daddy are already very proud.

With love,
Amelia & Johannes

Eighteen Years. It had been eighteen years since she had been delivered to a family with that letter in the same basket that her parents had tucked her in. Eighteen years. She couldn't remember how many times she had read that letter, over and over. Trying to figure out a single and so simple question that no one could answer. Why? Why was she abandoned like this? Was she that horrific that her parents didn't want her? We'll be back soon. Well, it had been eighteen years. Her parents were dead. That was for sure.

Nathalie should not complain though. The family she was given to, they had indeed provided her with love and all the support she could get. She had made friends. She had studied. And here she was now, her dad trying his best to pay for her studies in the Medical University of the Interior. Admittedly, she and Hange where the only women in the class. Hange Zoe was one of the friends that she had. She was energetic and funny and playful. She brought so much life, and Nathalie could spend hours with her, nerding all they could around Titan Biology. That was the subject they had both chosen to study, and it was admittedly, the perfect choice.

Titan Biology was just marvellous to study. Nathalie knew titans were man-eating monsters that had brought humanity to near extinction. But how they worked, and how they functioned beneath their thick skin, was just marvellous to think about.

"Hey, Nat!"

Nathalie smiled at the familiar voice that came from downstairs. It was her mom. Her foster mom, yet the only person who had treated her like a true mother should. She was downstairs at the kitchen, Nathalie was upstairs in her room. Her books, countless and spread out on her desk in display. Notes with chemical equations and biological facts were making a mess on her desk. She needed a bigger desk, but that was all they could afford for now.