CHAPTER 16

"Where are they, then?" Iyon ang tanong na nakuha ng atensyon nina Vetticia at Arries habang payapa silang nagsasalo-salo sa isang lamesa.

Masaya at tila interesadong-interesado sa isa't isa ang kanilang naging umpisa. Tipikal na kuwentuhan ng talambuhay at salitan ng mga palaisipan. Ngunit agad din na nagbago ang ihip ng hangin nang magsimulang magtanong si Mrs. Risa Mondavez tungkol sa mga magulang ni Vetticia.

Arries knows Veticia is still adjusting, and he thinks going that far might be too much for her, especially talking about motherhood and mothering. He knew she had never had one.

"Risa. Can you stop your immaturity? That is too much to ask." It was Mr. Arjon Mondavez who called out his wife. His voice was authoritative but a little soft. But since the second sentence was in a whisper, the two didn't hear it.

"What? What's wrong? I am seriously just asking her!" Mrs. Risa Mondavez defended herself in her softest way.

"And your question is not just asking anymore," Mr. Arjon Mondavez insisted, like he was the one who got offended and as if he already knew what Vetticia would say.

"It's just a pure question. It's not that it needs to be answered. If it was too personal, she could refuse to give her statement about it," Mrs. Risa Mondavez insisted like she didn't want to lose. But then, she raised her eyebrows at her husband afterward. "Besides, how could you tell me that if she hasn't spilled her tea yet?"

Arries sighed and put his cutlery down. What is he expecting from his mother? Mrs. Risa Mondavez was always uncontrollable. As long as it does not bother her mind, she will say what she wants to say, even if it is too personal for others. Then, Arries wiped his mouth using the white cloth on his lap.

Vetticia held Arries' hand before he could speak, which made them look at her. Then she whispered, "It's okay..."

Arries arched an eyebrow and whispered, "You don't have to agree with Mom if that doesn't make you comfortable."

Vetticia formed a gentle smile, then looked at their front. Para sa kaniya, masakit din ikuwento ang tungkol sa kaniyang mga magulang. Lalo na sa kaniyang ina. Dahil kahit minsan ay hindi niya ito nakilala o kahit makita man lang sa larawan. Kaya kahit parang may bumabara sa kaniyang lalamunan ay pinilit niyang ibuka ang kaniyang bibig.

"My mother left us when I was a toddler," Vetticia uttered.

Mr. Arjon Mondavez cleared his throat and swallowed hard, then breathed through his nose as he looked away like he was uneasy about something. Arries stayed silent on Vetticia's side, watching every move she was making.

Mrs. Risa Mondavez paused from moving, then looked at her husband after a second, like what she said was incredible. "So you don't know the story of why she left?" she asked, intrigued.

Vetticia moved her tongue across her lips and shook her head. How could she know the story if her Papa was not telling anything about it? So even if she wanted to answer every question she got, she couldn't.

"So that means you never saw her face in person?"

Vetticia shook her head again. "But as I know, she worked abroad to make money. She was supporting us until I stepped into tertiary school."

Mrs. Risa Mondavez narrowed her eyes. "Then, how come you never see your mother if that is the case?"

Vetticia couldn't answer. Hindi niya rin alam ang isasagot niya. Ngunit kung sasabihin niyang hindi kailanman pinakita ng kaniyang Papa ang larawan ng kaniyang ina ay parang nakakahiya iyon. Baka may kung ano pa na panghuhusga ang sabihin ng mga ito sa kaniyang Papa at ayaw niyang mangyari iyon.