CHAPTER 01

Three years ago, Arries was almost dwelling in his past, trying to forget all the unshown pain and unsaid words. He was trying to get rid of the life he had hated ever since. But then he met Vetticia on the pavement. She was lying there, yet she acted like it didn't affect her and even insisted that she was fine and that the accident was nothing.

He felt guilty and irresponsible. He tried to offer her a free ride, but shockingly, she refused and left. At that time, he wasn't into forcing things so he just let things his way and continued looking for a place to stay.

Along the runway, he didn't expect that he would meet her again...in the alley. As curiosity filled him, he followed her, and he was not sure if he was going to regret it or not.

The sudden urge of action had unnerved him; her life daunted him. It was like a sudden realization for him.

"I thought mine was the most rough..." Akala niya ay siya lang ang nahihirapan. Mas marami pala ang mas naghihirap. Marami sila. Hindi lang siya.

Iyong ibang masayang pamilya, namomroblema naman sa pera. Mayroong gaya niya, hindi na alam kung papaano pa ipapakita ang sarili sa sariling pamilya. Pero kahit pare-parehas nakakaranas ng lungkot, iba-iba pa rin ng dahilan. At mayroong iba na parehas iyon na nararanasan.

Ngunit gaya ng nalaman niya noong gabing iyon, wala man lang ni isa ang naglakas ng loob ang tumulong. Sa kaalaman na umere pa iyon sa iba't ibang channel ay hindi man lang sila nabigyan ng pagbabago.

What's new about it, anyway? "Everyone is greedy to survive on their own."

He knows that Vetticia is one of those who are experiencing financial instability. She sticks with living in a menacing place so they have a roof to live under. To be able to help her get out of that abandoned place, he sacrificed his dreams, saved money, and endured every pain while showing his sincerity to the Alfonso family.

Thankfully, he did it after a year of trying hard.

Hence, he can't deny that those made him better. He learned a lot, especially from the father of the love of his life, the elderly man they called Papa Leo. He also taught him the most important things in life: genuine happiness and family. Except if they are the cause of your negative emotions. Whether they are from a blood family or not, all the decision-making is up to the person who's feeling it.

But at that time, he was still struggling with what to choose between two things. So even though everything was already clear in his head, he was not able to choose his own yet. He means he can, but that could mean losing everything he has, including the salary and allowance he's getting from his parents that keeps sustaining his daily needs.

If he choose to leave that kind of life, he wouldn't be able to help Vetticia's family anymore. If he clings to the gust of his emotion, there's a huge tendency to get them downhill.

On top of that, he could be an additional burden to Vetticia. So from that night forward, to achieve the dream of yesterday, he decided to alter both his way of living and his viewpoint on what was crucial in life.

That is why he continues to choose to comprehend his mother's perspective even though he's losing hope for her. Yet every time he try to find an explanation, he can't see why she would be acting that way. Even if he talks to them about the things that are still puzzling him, he gets nothing, and they don't seem to have any intention of letting him know the reason behind it.

But he knows for sure, he will get to know it soon. As most people say, no secret can be kept forever.

"Aba naman, Señorito! Baka gusto mo akong pagbuksan?"