XXI. Persephone

Hades does not speak as his chariot thunders through the air, rapidly distancing us from his palace. 

Neither does Hermes, flying beside us. The messenger is subdued for once, lost in his own thoughts. 

There is nothing I could say to either of them that would change anything now, so I bite my tongue and stand aloof at Hades's side. The rocking of the chariot does not threaten my balance any longer, nor do my bare arms and shoulders prickle at the biting chill. 

My mind is a storm of what-ifs. 

What if I had eaten the fruit of the Underworld before Hermes arrived? 

Would Zeus still have summoned us to Olympus? 

What if I had pleaded with Hermes to leave, and pretend he never found me? 

Would our friendship have weighed enough against his father's orders?

What if I HAD told Mother where I was? 

Hades's free hand brushes against my arm. "Hold on to me. This will be rough for a moment."

I wrap my arms tightly around him, remembering with a bittersweet twinge how awkward I felt doing so the first time. 

Now he feels like home to me. I cannot even remember anymore what it was like, to feel Mother's arms around me, or her hands in my hair. 

Hades's touch is all I know.

He raises his left hand, the hand not driving the horses, and with a single motion rends the very earth above us open to the sky. The horses neigh in excitement and rush through the chasm their master has created. Once we are on the other side, Hades closes up the earth again, not even a seam remaining behind.

Sometimes I forget just how powerful he is.

We arrive on the side of Mount Olympus, but Hades does not halt the chariot yet. His stallions tear through the clouds, leaving them in shreds, and we finally clatter to a stop in one of the palace courtyards.

Olympus looks different. 

Gone is the luster and light I remember from the only other time I was here. The marble walls of the palace itself have dulled, and the clouds are a sullen gray instead of lily-white. It would feel ominous, were it not for the abject...weakness that pervades it all. 

I can almost taste it.

Hades steps from the chariot, and the stones crack as even they attempt to draw back from their Sovereign's anger. He put on his crown before our departure, no doubt to remind Zeus of exactly who he is. Between its iron prongs and his iron countenance, he looks like a true force to be reckoned with. 

I hope Zeus realizes how unwise it would be to rub him the wrong way.

Hades offers his hand, and I take it, disembarking. We enter the palace together, and I suddenly find it easy, to mirror his expressionless face and regal bearing. I spare no more than a momentary glance at the Olympians who line both sides of the throne room as we approach Zeus.

All twelve thrones have been moved in, five on each side, leading to the high thrones of Zeus and Hera at the very center of the chamber. Almost everyone is here. To our left, Hermes takes his seat, looking for all the world as if he would rather be anywhere else. 

I hope he sees the sympathy in my eyes when my gaze skims over him. I do not resent him for his part in this.

I hope when this is over, I can still count him as a friend.