Chapter Thirty-Eight: The One They Lost

Start from the beginning

When Leo checked on Owen, he immediately know that there was nothing to do. He was already gone. He still tried to give him CPR, but of course, it didn't work. Owen had died I his sleep. Leo is the one that called it. He has called so many deaths over his entire career, but this one hurt him. He had called the ambulance and they will be here any minute now. They will take Owen to the morgue while the family starts the preparation for the final goodbye.

"Can't you do something, Leo? Can't you bring my father back? Do something please, don't let him go." He recalled Elizabeth's words as he tried to retrieve him. He has heard this so many times when his loved ones beg him, but he is not in charge of this. He doesn't have the power to stop people from dying. He couldn't look in Elizabeth's eyes when he was trying to retrieve Owen. He couldn't look in her eyes when he gave up. He couldn't look in her eyes when he called it.

The was a knock at the door. They all know what was going to happen next. Owen will be taken to a morgue. "Dad catches a cold easily – don't let them take him." She begged Leo as he hugged her tightly. Her words brought tears to his eyes as she sobbed in his arms while the paramedic walked into the room, following the red-eyed helpers – they must be the ones that let the paramedics into the house.

Leo looked at Charlie and Marcus for help as he will be having a chat with the paramedics. Charlie nodded and instantly rushed to their side. She held on to Elizabeth while Leo stood on his feet and went to talk with the paramedics. The siblings were in no condition to properly talk so Leo took over – he became the family member that Maria always wanted him to be. He let the paramedics know the details. He took care of everything. Maria was proud of her brother – who stepped up and let the siblings grieve the death of their father.

The night passed – neither of them even blinked asleep – even when Maria, Charlie, and Leo tried to make sure the others sleep, but how can sleep come to them when their father took his last breath a few hours ago. By morning, the news of Owen Harrison's death was all over the news. The businessman passed in his sleep in the later hours. He was battling cancer. Maria could imagine the headlines.

The next morning, people started to show up at Harrison's residence – paying their condolences. A lot of bad memories freshened up for the siblings as they have done this before at their mother's funeral. Elizabeth sat in her room. Her eyes were swollen. She had dark circles and bags under her eyes. She didn't sleep at all last night. "I don't want to go," She mumbled as she watches Leo take the clothes out that she will be wearing while attending to the people that have come to pay their respect.

Leo sighed and walked to her, "Baby, I don't you want to. You don't have to stay longer, okay? I will take care of everything – just come downstairs for only an hour. Then maybe you can come back up here and try to sleep. You haven't slept all night," Leo gently spoke to her as he tugged her hair behind her ear. She looked at him and snuffled, "You haven't slept either," She mumbled. Leo softly smiled, "I am used to it, remember?" He told her – softly creasing her cheek. He is right. Leo doesn't sleep much – he is also a very light sleeper.

Elizabeth heaved a sigh. He has been crying all night. Her head was aching. She rubbed her temples, "How is Liam?" She asked him. Leo sighed and removed her hands from her temple. Elizabeth pulled her eyebrows and looked at him. He settled on the bed and patted on his lap – asking her to lay her head on it. She did as he asked and soon Leo's fingers replaced his, "He is fine. He was worried about you. I told him he can see you once you freshen up. I think he is with Charlie right now," He answered softly.

Leo's fingers gently circulated on her temple – making her eyes feel heavy. She tried to fight the sleep, but it sneaked on her. She couldn't even reply to Leo and was only able to hum softly before she fell asleep. Leo kept on rubbing her forehead even after she slept. He doesn't want to disturb her. It will be a long day, it is better if she takes some sleep. She can see the relatives and other people later – right now she needs to sleep.

Marcus was on the phone. He and Silas have been attending to the relatives and friends that have been coming to pay their condolences while they make all the arrangements for the funeral tomorrow afternoon. Leo has been helping with whatever he can. He can be looking after the arrangements when Silas and Marcus are busy with the guests. Maria and Charlie have also been receiving the guests while looking after the kids.

Kathie doesn't understand what is going on. Liam knows, but he is quiet. He has seen the tragedy himself recently. He is very well aware of what was happening. "Kathie, sweetie, please – mama needs to go downstairs. You be a good girl and stay in the room, okay?" Liam witnessed how Charlie was trying to make Kathie sit in the room when she wants to go out and play. Kathie pouted and as stubborn as she can be, she shook her head. "No! I want to go out and play in the pool." She tells her mother – who clicked her tongue and pushed her hair back. Liam noticed how frustrated Charlie was getting.

"No, Kathie, the water is cold. You will get sick. Please help Mama out and stay in the room with Ella," Charlie asked as she glanced at Ella sleeping in her crib. Kathie shook her head and seemed like she was close to tears. Charlie wanted to cry. There was so much to do and Kathie was being very difficult – she was also tired. She didn't want this right now. Liam noticed how close to tears Charlie seem.

He looked down at the legos he was playing with. He must be the only child that wasn't being difficult and who obediently listened to Leo who asked him to stay in the room. He quickly made a small and improper castle with the legos and walked toward Kathie and Charlie. Charlie saw Liam coming as she curiously watched him aiming toward Kathie. He showed her the castle, "I made this," he told Kathie – who quickly looked at the legos. Kathie paused as she twist and pointed towards the lego castle, "I want this," She shyly mumbled to Liam. This was their first interaction – although Liam has been living in the same house as her for the past five days – still, he didn't bond with everyone.

Liam smiled, "Let's make more." He said – pointing towards the lego that Silas gifted him the day before yesterday. Kathie giggled and nodded her head as she forgot about the pool, playing outside, or her mother and rushed to the pile of legos in the corner of the room. She quickly got busy with them.

Charlie smiled and sighed, "You are God sent, Liam." She told the boy and ruffled his hair. "Thank you so much," She told him – while Liam shyly stood in front of her – his cheek was getting bright. "Liam, I will be back in half an hour, can you please be sure she doesn't leave?" She asked him.

Liam quickly nodded his head and looked toward sleeping Ella, "What if she wakes up?" He asked. Charlie showed him the baby monitor in her hand, "She always cries when she can't find me or Marcus around her. I will hear her through his," She answered him. Charlie would have left Ella with Maria, but she was also downstairs and Ezra was fresh as a daisy, so Silas had him. Marcus and Leo went to make some funeral arrangements and they weren't around or he would have helped.

Liam nodded, "Don't worry, I will look after them both. If – um – if she doesn't cry when she wakes up then I will speak into that speaker," He pointed at the baby monitor resting on the chest of the side table. "Um, and if she moves a lot, I will put more cushions around her so, she doesn't fall off the bed." He told Charlie and pointed towards the cushions that Charlie had surrounded Ella without.

Charlie was already feeling extremely emotional today, and now that she watches Liam care for her children like an elder brother – her heart swells. Her eyes glossed as she kneel in front of him and held his small hands, "I wish my children grow up to be as smart and kind as you, Liam. I am so happy Kathie and Ella got an elder brother like you," She told him. Liam's cheek again brightened at the compliment as he looked down on the floor.

Charlie saw how shy Liam was, she didn't torment the boy with more compliments – but later she sure will teach him how to take them, because as amazing as Liam is – he will be getting a lot more in his life. She got on her feet, "Thank you again, Liam. And yes, you call me out on that and I will hear you." Charlie then looked at Kathie, "Just make sure she doesn't leave, if she whines – just call me." She waved her monitor in her hand to which Liam smiled and nodded his head.

Charlie looked at the three children and sleeping Bear in the corner of the room before she slowly closed the door behind her and went downstairs. Leo and Elizabeth are lucky to have Liam in their lives now – Charlie couldn't help but think.