Chapter Twenty-Six: The Fight

Maria paused outside the entrance of her house. She knows what is waiting for her inside. She holds tightly to the crutches and glanced down at the stroller. Ezra peacefully sleeps in it. She saw one of Silas's men outside the café she was meeting Sean. He didn't even try to hide. It was probably his way of communicating that your husband knows. Even if she hadn't seen that man there, Maria would have believed that Silas knows. Of course, he would know. Even if it isn't for the security guards, Sean would have told Silas – or maybe she would have told him herself. One way or another, there is no way she could hide it from him, so why bother?

The only reason why she even went to see Sean behind Silas's back is that she knows that he would never let her go knowing whom she is trying to see. She didn't have a choice but to go behind his back. She blew her cheeks out and unlocked the door before she walked inside the house.

The house was quiet as if there is no one around. Maria knows for a fact that Bear must be sleeping in some corner and Silas – she doesn't even know if he is home yet. Typically he comes home in the evening, but today are the different circumstances. She pushed the stroller further into the house and dropped the house keys on the kitchen counter, along with her bag. Her eyes traveled around the empty house. Maybe Silas hasn't returned home yet.

Her assumption was proven wrong when she heard footsteps coming down from the stairs. She turned around to see Silas walking down. He was wearing the white button-up shirt that he wore to the office this morning along with the same gray pants. His tie and coat were missing and the sleeves of the shirt were rolled up to his elbows. Silas didn't even look at her – instead, his eyes were on Ezra, who peacefully sleeps in the stroller.

Silas calmly walked to her and she expected him to say something to her – to tell her how disappointed he is with her or how she shouldn't have gone without him knowing – or anything, but instead, Silas bend down to the stroller, unhooked Ezra from it, took his in his arm and wordlessly took the baby upstairs to his room. He didn't even spare her a glance.

Silas could feel her eyes on him as he took Ezra to his room. If he is being honest, he would tell that he has been preparing to have a decent conversation with her when she returns, but he didn't trust himself at the moment, therefore he decided to not say a word to her. He is not going to ignore her all day – nor will he not talk to her about what she has done, but he doesn't believe that it is the right time to have this conversation with her. He is extremely bothered by her seeing Sean and he doesn't want to fight her about it. So, he is going to stay silent until he calms himself down a bit, so he can have a mature discussion with his wife – just like Marcus suggested.

Maria, on the other hand, didn't take his silence so well. In her mind, history is repeating itself. He was just as wordless when he first had doubts about her and Marcus's relationship. He didn't converse with her, just like he didn't right now. Their lack of conversation caused a huge dent in their lives and here he is doing it again. Maybe he didn't learn anything from the past, Maria thought.

She followed him upstairs and decided to initiate the dialogue. She doesn't care if he yells at her or shows his disapproval. All she wants from him is a conversation – any sort will work for her. She needs to know how exactly he is feeling.

It wasn't hard for Maria to find him. He was in Ezra's nursery. He had put the baby in his cot and was now putting the blanket over him. Maria rested against the door frame and watched Silas kissing the sleeping Ezra's head and mumbling a soft, "I love you," before he stood straight and heaved a sigh. He didn't have to turn around to know that Maria followed him.

He slowly turned around to look at her. Maria glanced towards Ezra, who peacefully slept. She didn't want to have this conversation with him around Ezra. So, she bobbed her head to Silas – asking him to follow her before she walked out. Silas glanced back at his son one last time before he followed Maria out.