Chapter Twenty-Nine: An Unexpected News

Leo was staring down at Elizabeth with his arms folded over his chest while she sat on the bench outside ICU in the hospital Leo works and where Sharon is currently admitted. "I am not sorry," She told him – grimly staring back at him. Liam sat beside Elizabeth, looking from Leo to Elizabeth. He might be young, but he knows what it is about. He was there when Elizabeth decided to take the matter into her own hands.

Leo heaved a sigh and glanced at Liam, who sat silently with his head down. He doesn't want to have this conversation with her in front of the child, especially the one that was getting bullied. Leo didn't know Liam was getting bullied at school. The boy never told him. Whenever Leo would ask how things are at school, Liam would always give him a positive response. Only he knew. Leo isn't mad that Elizabeth took a stand for Liam, he just disproves the way she handled it. She could have handled it more maturely rather than calling the kids "rascal, evil rats and useless nutcase who will grow up to live in their parent's basement". She also didn't have to fight the parents that were called by the principal. She could have explained the situation and could have asked them to talk to their children, but instead, she didn't hold back.

The principal of the school reached Leo when he couldn't reach Sharon as he is named as the second emergency contact for Liam. The principal informed him that when one of the parents refused to believe their son could bully Liam, Elizabeth didn't hold back and called the mother "a burden on earth" and a "dumb fuck". When the principal tried to get in the middle, she called him "an irresponsible freak who doesn't pay attention around and just sits in his office and does nothing useful."

Leo is already tired from his shift and deeply concerned about Sharon's health. He doesn't have time to talk to her about it, so he ignored her. He is mad at her. She could have caused more issues for Liam. He expected better from her, but she is too stubborn to realize it. He kneels in front of Liam and gently pushed the hair off his forehead, "Are you tired, Liam?" He asked the boy softly. Liam quickly shook his head. The boy's nose and cheeks were slightly pink and so were his eyes. He must have been crying.

"How is Grandma now? Will she live?" Liam mumbled.

"Grandma will be fine. She is sleeping right now and we can't disturb her. How about you go to the canteen with Elizabeth and get something to eat?" Loe asked Liam softly. Liam looked at Leo and nodded his head. Leo smiled at him and placed a soft kiss on his forehead, before the smile slipped off his lips and he looked at Elizabeth, "Can you take him to the canteen?" He asked her.

Elizabeth realized that Leo was truly mad at her. She slowly nodded her head and opened her mouth to apologize to him and explain to him everything, when Leo got on his feet. "I have to go back on duty. I will see you in an hour, okay?" Leo kept his words to Liam, who glanced at frowning Elizabeth before he looked back at Leo and nodded his head.

Elizabeth watched as Leo walked away. She quickly got on her feet, told Liam to wait for her here for a minute, and rushed after Leo. "Wait, Leo." She quickly rushed in front of him and stopped him from getting into an elevator. "I didn't know you would be so offended, Leo. I am sorry, but you should have seen the way those kids were treating Liam. It broke my heart and you know me – I tend to overact and I guess that's what I did." She spoke softly as she held Leo by his shoulder. There were people and staff around them so, Elizabeth kept her voice low.

Leo heaved a sigh. He pinched the bridge of his nose and looked at her. He took her hand in his and looked down at them, "Elizabeth, I know you mean well – but it is a bit complicated when it comes to Liam. How about we talk about this when we get home, hmm? Right now, Liam needs us and I don't think it would be appropriate to talk about it in front of him." He softly shrugs.

Elizabeth twisted her mouth and nodded her head, "I understand. So, you are no longer mad at me?" She asked him hopefully.

Leo inwardly chuckled, "No, and I am sorry too. I was being a little too hard on you as well. Thank you for standing up for him," He brought her hands to his mouth and placed a kiss on the back of her hands. "I have been very worried about Sharon and I didn't react the way I should have, but you also need to understand that fighting those kids or their parents and even the principal is not going to help. But, don't worry about them, okay? I will be talking to the principal about this as well. I will not let those kids get away from bullying Liam, I promise." Leo mumbled.