FERAL: chapter thirty-four

Three days

Three days.

It's been three days since we returned from the lab. Three days since Michael and Dexter were taken by the council. Three days since Gaius was brought home.

Three days and he hasn't returned to normal.

"Gaius, calm down!" I plea as he tries to break away from the doctor's grasp.

We were hoping the effects were temporary but as each day goes on, I'm starting to lose hope of him returning to normal.

I want to be able to help him but I'm not sure how.

Gaius thrashes against the doctors and snarls escape him as he tries to get away. I try to move closer but the doctors push me back.

"You should wait outside," one of them suggests, but my attention is solely focused on Gaius.

A hand grips my shoulder and I turn around to see Foster. He offers me a sympathetic smile and gestures to the outside of the room. With a frown, I follow him out before turning to stare at my struggling mate through the window.

It hurts to watch him like this.

"No improvement?" Foster questions and I shake my head.

"Is he ever going to get better?" I ask.

My voice betrays me and cracks. I try to blink back the tears but it's no use and they begin to fall freely.

I want my mate to be okay.

Foster pulls me closer to him, to my surprise.

"You need to have faith," he tells me. "The Moon Goddess wouldn't have kept him alive just for the two of you to suffer."

I want to believe his words, but it's hard when I can still hear the angry growls coming from the room. The change in him is so clear.

"Be strong," Foster says. "If not for yourself, then for for him. He's going to need you."

Foster pulls away and I see his mate being helped into a room. He smiles at him before turning back to me.

"I need to go, but remember what I said," his eyes meet mine. "You're stronger than you think, Onyx."

With that, Foster leaves. I stare at him for a few minutes before he disappears into the room with his mate and sigh. I glance back into Gaius' room and see the doctors sedating him. Red eyes find mine and I place my hand against the window and offer him a smile. Anger flashes through his eyes before he bares his teeth and growls at me.

Pulling away, I slowly make my way down the hall and blink repeatedly in an attempt not break down on the spot.

Be strong, Onyx.

He needs you.

When I'm outside, I close my eyes and take a deep breath before exhaling and walking away. I have no particular plans on where I want to go, but I just let my feet lead the way.