FERAL: chapter three

**edited**

Mom always said to find people I trusted and once I did, to never let go

Mom always said to find people I trusted and once I did, to never let go. She said that it was better to have one real friend than one million fake ones and I chose to live by that advice.

In the twenty-four years that I'd known Foster and Gray, I saw the two of them as my real friends. Sure, we didn't always get along, but I knew I could count on them. At least, that's what I thought, but the expressions on their faces were making me question whether I was right or not.

Foster's brown eyes were wide and I could practically see the cogwheels turning as he tried to come up with something to say to me. Something that would make me take back what I'd just said. Gray, on the other hand, was staring at me with an unreadable expression. His eyes never left mine and there was a thin, disapproving frown on his face.

"You're joking, right?" Foster asked me quietly. "This is a joke isn't it, Gaius?"

"Do I look like I'm joking, Foster?" I responded with a sigh. "I'm serious. This is my mate."

He let out a groan. "Shit."

Gray moved toward me and I immediately tensed, not knowing what his next move would be. I could hear my mate's snarls increase from behind me. Gray's eyes shot to them and he attempted to move toward the bed, but I grabbed his arm before he could do so.

Gray roughly snatched his arm out of my grip and stared at me, his blue eyes full of anger. I inwardly winced.

"Move out of my way, Gaius," he ordered, his voice cold.

"You know I can't," I sighed. "He's my mate, Gray- my mate! You know how long I've been waiting for this," I pleaded.

Gray didn't bat an eye. "He's feral. You know the rule about feral rogues."

"A rule that was based on hearsay! Tell me, have you ever met a feral rogue?"

"Do you hear yourself?" Gray questioned. "There have been reported cases of feral rogues attacking people. That's not fucking hearsay, Gaius!"

"Gray-"

"Move."

My eyes shifted back towards the feral behind me and then back to Gray. I couldn't move; I couldn't stand by and watch as he killed my mate.

"Come on, Gai. They probably can't feel your bond anyway. You're better off taking your chances with a second chance mate," Foster added.

The suggestion made me frown. Second-chance mates were extremely rare. Most wolves didn't get one if they lost their first mate so to hear him say that pained me.

I shook my head. "They might not feel it, but I'll never know if you just kill them without giving them a chance."

"Enough," Gray snapped. "You're sounding delusional, Gaius. He's feral. I'm sorry, okay? Had he been a normal rogue, like you told me, then this could've gone entirely differently, but I'm not willing to take the chance that he attacks someone. I'm going to ask you one last time to move."