FERAL: chapter eleven

"How was I supposed to know that the word thick would offend him?!"

I roll my eyes at Foster as we sit inside my house. Taylor had kicked him out and now he was moping around my house.

"He's already pregnant, poor guy probably thought you were calling him fat," I shake my head at him.

"Poor guy? How about poor me! You're supposed to be on my side!" Foster whines.

I ignore him as he continues to whine and rant. My mind travels to Doctor Glassman again. After the two of us talked yesterday, I haven't been able to get him out of my mind. Something about the way he was action felt strange, almost fake even. He said he was down there to visit an injured rogue but why would he leave with me if that was the case?

"Hey, Fos," I interrupt his rant. "The rogue you caught yesterday, was she injured?"

Foster's eyebrows furrow at the topic change. "Injured? She had a few scrapes but nothing that didn't heal almost instantly. When she got her check up, she was said to be healthy. Why?"

I frowned at his words. If that was the case then that meant Doctor Glassman had lied to me. Why did he lie? I don't know but now I was determined to find out.

"Come on," I tell him as I stand up.

"Where are we going?" Foster groans.

"To find Doctor Glassman."

"Why?" He asks.

"The two of us were talking yesterday. He was in the cellar, I noticed that his scent was basically gone, and he lied about the new rogue being injured - it doesn't make sense."

Foster's lips form into a line as the words leave my mouth. Any trace of laziness was replaced with a serious expression as he, too, stood up.

"You sure?" He questions and I nod.

"Positive," I tell him.

The two of us leave the house and make our way towards the hospital. Doctor Glassman should be there.

The walk is silent and I'm sure Foster is thinking over everything I just told him. He may appear childish half the time but when it came to the pack, he was completely serious.

We're almost at the hospital when I pause in front of the park. Crouched in front of the slide is Doctor Glassman as he places a bandaid over a crying Layne's leg. As we walk closer, I can hear Doctor Glassman talking.

"You're alright, princess," he coos at Layne who's wiping her eyes.

"It hurts," she points down at her leg.

"I know it does, but it'll all be better soon!"

Gray and Quinn sit on the bench close by and wait for Doctor Glassman to finish. Quinn spots us first and a small smile replaces the worried expression on her face.