36 - back to you (i.)

Depuis le début

"sorry."

"you don't look sorry."

Ran was careful as he dressed her wounds one by one, consistent in being thorough no matter how insignificant and small a scratch is. often times he'd look up at her with a frown when he's fed up with her wounds.

"if you're annoyed then don't do it."

"I'm not annoyed."

she poked the crease between his brows. "then stop frowning."

"I'm done with your legs, anywhere else?"

she looked down on his work—neat bandaging around her left ankle and both knees, and plasters and band aids on random spots.

"isn't this too much?" she hesitantly says.

"it is, if we weren't broken up I would fight with you over this," he grumbles as he stood up.

"over what?"

"over you getting yourself hurt."

"I didn't get hurt willingly."

"you willingly entered the building."

before they could actually argue, Ran sat down beside her and took her arm.

"just scratches," she tells him with a sigh.

he looked annoyed again. the same process repeats. he inspects her wounds, treats them, and occasionally asks how she got them. ten minutes later when he's done with both arms, Hikari beams at him.

"we're done."

"uhuh," he skeptically says.

he touched the side of her stomach and she winces.

"Hikari—"

"I'll treat it myself."

"you're shit on that."

"so what, I just get naked?"

his brows shot up. he blinked, looked down on her stomach, then realized he'd have to take her nightgown off.

"well, not completely—if you like," he jokes.

she scowled as she stood up, but Ran automatically grabs at her wrist. the girl falls right on his lap, her startled eyes meeting his. she looked down his lips; Ran felt his desire for her burn.

as she leans in, his lips part to say something that ruined the moment entirely.

"don't."

and she doesn't, her eyes holding hurt and confusion and rejection as she pulls away.

"we won't last this way," he says before he cups the side of her face, pressing a long kiss on her cheek.

"if you kiss me, I'll fall apart before I can fix us."

something shattered inside Hikari as she grasped his words. she throws her arms around his neck, pulling him closely to herself as unwelcome tears fell from her eyes. he touched the small of her back, his other hand residing at her nape.

"I'm sorry," he says, "I'm sorry, Hikari."

"you're always sorry."

he stills. other than that, what was there to say? what was there to feel? Hikari sniffled as she wiped at her tears, refusing to let go of her hold around Ran.

"my love, I am sorry." his voice came out strained.

she felt his hand stroke her hair. his lips a ghost on the top of her collarbone.