Chapter 2: Excuse me? I do not volunteer as tribute.

Start from the beginning

  Did I forget to mention that Benjamin St Claire, besides being the founder of Alpha Enterprises, also happened to be the actual Alpha of The Raven Thorne Pack?

  Ooh, big daddy’s using his alpha voice and the entire auditorium is brimming with silence.

  Yeah, see, the other thing about being ‘human’, dad’s alpha tone didn’t affect me like it did to Drake and the others.

  But either way, I respected my father. He was the Alpha of one of the biggest packs in the entire US, and Drake would be the next in line to take over Raven Thorne when his transformation matured and stabilized.

  “Fellow students,” My father began, “I’m sure that all of you are well aware of what today means. It is the 20th of December.”

  The single date caused some cheering from the front row, and even dad released a slight smile, but the sounds instantly died down as the stern expression reregistered on his face.

  “I am pleased to announce that the annual selection of the 10 lucky students that will be transferring to Silver Moon Academy arrived last night. And it is within my honour to announce it to you.”

  I cupped my mouth into my palm, ready for a list of boring names to be read out. This was going to take a while..

The 5 selected young men are:

David Bennett

Anderson Carlson

Zachary Law

Matthew Daniels

Drake St Claire.”

  I smiled and whispered a quick, “Congrats!” to Drake, who flashed me a pleased grin as he stood. I could see the pride when my eyes swept back towards dad, who was nodding at his son.

“The 5 chosen young women are:

Danielle Josephine

Sophia Richards..”

  Sophia squeezed my hand excitedly as she stood up.

“Alyson Raft

Melissa Ericson

And last but not least,

Daire St Clair.”

  Ah, congrats, congrats to all those girls and guys who got accepted ..

  It was only then when I realized the entire auditorium had fell shunned and silent. What was going on? A few students looked at me through odd eyes, and even Drake was staring at me with his wide orbs.

  “Daire,” My father said slowly, “Stand up?”

  I frowned, “What? Why?”

  You’re name was called, silly!”Sophia whispered anxiously and I felt my blood turn cold.

  What?

  And that is how I found myself at the back seat of the packs van a week later, sulking bitterly while Sophia chatted animatedly with the other 3 girls and Drake made conversation with the other 4 boys.

  “Daire,” Dad said as he glanced at me from where he drove the van.

  I sighed and looked up, my green eyes dully meeting his blue ones that reminded me so much of Drake's it was kind of disturbing.

  That was the odd thing about Drake and I. Even though we were 'identical' twins, with the same dark brown hair, rosy cheeks and full, red lips, our eyes stood out from our complexions: Drake's eyes were a deep shade of sky-blue that reflected into gray when he was in a bad mood. He had obviously inherited it from our dad. Mine on the other hand was a forest green. Sort of amber at the edges, but veined with deep hazel surrounding the black irises. They were pretty much similar to my mothers.

  “Being selected is to attend Silver Moon is a brilliant opportunity. You should stop sulking and feel more pride.”

  I pulled at my eyes till it reached the scenery as we passed through with speed.

  “Honey..” Dad repeated and my heart softened when he dropped the Alpha voice.

  “This is some mistake, dad,” I said, shaking my head, “I don’t need to go to the campus and get told that I was accidently chosen. Then I’ll be sent home.”

  “I don’t think so, Dairy,” Dad said, and I forced away a smile when he used my nickname that only he and Drake could call me, “Don’t let the fact that you haven’t shifted yet bring you down.”

  “Excuse me, but I do not volunteer as tribute for this mess,” I grumbled.

  Dad shook his head at me, though he smiled.

  “You should know your way to your room, yes? I feel bad that I can’t bring you there. There’s a brief meeting with the Sombre Stones Alpha that I can’t miss.”

  I smiled up at my dad, “Its fine. If anything Drake and I can just ask around. Speaking of which, how’s Alpha Vermont anyway?”

  “He’s doing well,” Dad nodded, “In fact, I think he’s son was selected to attend Silver Moon too.”

  “Alpha Vermont has a son?” I asked, cocking my head sideways. Dad looked at me in exasperation.

  “Haven’t you been listening to anything I’ve taught you before?”

  “Nope,” I laughed, popping the ‘p’.

  Dad rolled his eyes, “Anyway, yes, if I remember correctly, Clinton Vermont is next in line to take over the Alpha title.”

  “Ah,” I said, though something in me stirred.

  Clinton Vermont.

  Why did that name seem to roll of my tongue so warmly?

  I sighed and shrugged it off.