ʚɞ Twenty One - The new norm ʚɞ

Ashley was riding on her scooter, trying to get to her uncle about the news she'd just been told by Alex, Tom and Commander Walters.

"Uncle Wade!" Ashley called out, parking her scooter nearby to the police station. However, it was empty. "Where is he?"

Just then, multiple vehicles and tanks started driving down the road. Ashley wasn't surprised. She'd been told about this. Grabbing her scooter, she began to follow them.

Meanwhile, a helicopter landed outside the Town Hall. Commander Walter, Tom, Maddie and Alex all exited the helicopter.

"Commander," an agent greeted them.

"Status report," Commander Walters said to the agent.

"Robotnik is in there with Stone and a hostage," an agent pointed to the coffee shop. "Possibly local PD. I'm not saying he's dumb, but if he is local PD, this town's in a lot of trouble."

The Wachowski family all looked at each other, already knowing exactly who it was.

"Wade..."

Ashley appeared on her scooter, but was stopped by soldiers nearby.

"Ash, please stay back," Alex called over to her best friend.

Before Ashley could reply, the doors to the coffee shop opened. Robotnik emerged, his outfit glowing a neon green and green electricity surrounding him.

"Okay..." Maddie let out, a little stunned by Robotnik's look.

"Rockin' that new spring collection, I see," Tom commented.

"Well, if it isn't the Pastry King and his little bundle of joy," Robotnik smiled. Alex felt a chill go up her spine as she remembered the day they'd first met Robotnik. He'd called her a little bundle of joy back then.

"The Donut Lord," Tom corrected. "A real genius would remember the name of the guy who helped kick your butt off this planet. And I'll do it again if you mess with Green Hills."

"Congratulations on your oh-so-temporary sense of superiority," Robotnik remarked.

"You're finished, Robotnik! We've taken everything. Your lab, your drones, your funding!" Commander Walters called out from beside Maddie. "Let's see how big of a man you are without your silly little robots."

"Would you like to see... how big a man I can be?" Robotnik asked. He began to hover further into the air, his right hand emitting more of the green energy that was surrounding him. 

He threw some energy at a tank, which started to float into the air and break apart. The driver of the tank managed to get out in time. 

Tom pulled Alex towards him, preparing for anything that could happen, even though he was as confused as everyone else.

"Welcome to the new norm," Robotnik smiled evilly as he began flying into the air. A tornado began to form around him as he began to bring more and more vehicles up with him.

More tanks and trucks. The helicopter. A train that was passing nearby. And Agent Stone.

"My god!" Commander Walters let out.

The tornado grew bigger and bigger, green lightning surrounding it and pulling more parts and vehicles into the storm. Alex couldn't believe that this was happening right before her eyes.

"He's taking everything apart," Tom said.

"He's building something," Maddie replied.

The storm slowly cleared, revealing a giant robot towering above them. It was covered with dark red, grey and yellow, with glowing green eyes. Alex felt Tom hold onto her tighter than before.

Meanwhile, inside the coffee shop, Wade was amazed. "I knew it! just like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man."

The door suddenly opened. It was Ashley, holding the key in her hands.

"C'mon, we've gotta get out of here," Ashley said, moving over to the handcuffs holding her uncle. "I've just heard they're gonna evacuate the town."

Sure enough, as the Death Egg Robot began to move towards them, Commander Walters gave the order. "Fall back. Fall back! Quick! Retreat!"

As they continued to retreat, Alex heard the sound of a plane flying overhead. Looking up, she smiled as she spotted the red plane and the three people on board.

"Go get him, Sonic..." Alex whispered, a look of pride on her face.

"Go! Move, guys! Move back!" Maddie said to the people in the town.

"Let's go, that's it! Go, go, go! Keep going!" Tom ordered.

Just then, a man with a truck stopped beside the Wachowski family, "Tom, what happened here?"

Tom turned to his wife and daughter, "You thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Let's get our kid," Maddie nodded.

"We need your truck!" Alex said to the driver.

Nearby, Ashley spotted Alex getting into the truck with her parents. They drove off, following the Death Egg.

Ashley was still for a moment.

Looking over at where her uncle was evacuating people, she let out a small sigh.

She wasn't losing any of her friends today.

Spinning her scooter around, she started riding after the truck, already silently questioning her actions.

_______

Author's note:

I have to be honest, the first time I saw this scene in cinemas, I actually got a little scared.

I felt like I was ten again, watching those Sonic cartoons on TV.