ʚɞ Two - San Francisco sucks? ʚɞ

Tom's truck pulls into the driveway of his home. Upon spotting the raccoons rummaging through the garbage bins, Tom honks his horn to try to get their attention.

"Uh-uh! Hey! No, no. Get out of there!" Tom called out to them as he exited his car and watched the racoons quickly exit the bin and run into the woods. "Get out of there, you trash pandas."

Tom enters his house and puts his work equipment on the shelf, "Maddie, as Green Hill's most respected veterinarian, what is the fastest way to exterminate a raccoon?"

Ozzy walks in to greet him, making Tom smile and bend down to pet his dog, "Hi, Ozzy! Hello! You're glad to see me! You don't eat garbage, do you?

As Tom continues to pet Ozzy, his wife, Maddie and his daughter, Alex both walk in. Maddie is holding an envelope in her hands and there are two excited smiles on their faces.

"What's that?" Tom asked, before his eyes widened slightly. "Is that what I think it is?"

"Uh-huh," Maddie nodded. "Open it."

Tom takes the envelope and immediately inspects it, "Oh, it's kind of small. Is that bad?"

"Just... open it," Maddie replied, the smile still on her face.

Tom opens the envelope and the three of them walk to the kitchen counter.

Tom takes a deep breath and begins to read a letter from the envelope, "Dear Thomas, we have reviewed your application to the San Francisco Police Department, and pending interdepartmental review and background check, we are happy to inform you that you have been selected to join our team."

"Oh, my God!" Alex cheered. "Yes!"

"Wow!" Tom let out. "Oh, my God."

Maddie pulls out a pink box and sets it on the counter, and opens it to reveal a cake, "Ta-da!"

Tom looks at the cake and reads it, his smile fading a little. "San Francisco Sucks."

Alex leans over to see the cake. The cake shows a burning Golden Gate Bridge and blue letters reading Forget Those Morons, San Francisco SUCKS!

Maddie quickly realizes her mistake and puts the cake away, "Oh! Wrong one!" Maddie pulls out a new box and opens it up to reveal another cake. "Ta-da!"

The new cake shows the words "CONGRATULATIONS" in red letters at the top, "I Never Had A Doubt!" in blue letters at the bottom and a decorative portrait of a police officer in the centre.

"You never had a doubt, huh?" Tom looked at the pair.

"No!" Maddie replied.

"Mm-mmm," Alex said, shaking her head.

Maddie and Tom hug and share a kiss. Alex joins the hug too, and Tom ruffles the girl's hair, making her laugh.

"I can't believe this!" Tom smiled, looking back at his letter of acceptance.

"Oh, I know! You did it!" Maddie replied, smiling as well.

Tom then notices Maddie's laptop open, "Hey, what are those?"

"Apartments for rent I found on Zillow," Maddie answered. "I thought Ozzy and I could fly there tomorrow and check out some neighbourhoods."

Tom lets out a small sigh and sits himself down at the dining table, "I mean, this is all happening so fast."

"Oh, man. It's the craziest thing; you apply for the job, you get the job," Maddie nodded, walking to the dining room and sitting across from Tom.

"Well, pending a background check," Tom pointed out.

"Hope they don't find out about that time you used the neighbour's Wi-Fi," Alex said, her face showing a fake worried look.

"Correction: I'm still using the neighbour's Wi-Fi," Tom replied. "But, Maddie, Alex, are you sure you're okay with this?"

"Thomas Michael Wachowski, what did you do the entire time I was in veterinary school?" Maddie asked.

"I worked a second job to pay the rent and-"

"A third job to pay tuition," Maddie finished her husband's sentence. "You sacrificed for me. I'm happy to sacrifice for you."

"Alex, what about you?" Tom asked. "I mean, you've got some good friends here."

"Doesn't mean they aren't going anywhere," Alex replied. "I can always facetime them. Besides, bigger possibilities wherever you go."

"Babe, are you sure you're okay with this?" Maddie asked her husband. "I mean, there's been a Wachowski protecting this town for more than 50 years. This is a big change."

"I'm positive," Tom answered, standing up from the table. "It's time for this guy to get out there and prove himself. I love Green Hills, but, you know, I want to help people in real trouble. I want someone to turn to me in a life-and-death situation and I'll be there for 'em."

Maddie nods, "I get it. I'm so proud of you."

"Me too," Alex smiled.

"Thank you," Tom smiled, hugging his family.

"Not to be rude, but can we have the cake now?" Alex asked, making her parents laugh.

■■■

Maddie and Ozzy left the next day, taking the first flight to San Francisco, just as they had planned to do.

Alex attended school, like always. She met up with her best friend, Ashley at their meeting spot, a large and colourful bench right outside the school. Upon seeing each other they smiled, doing their handshake.

First a fist bump and a high five, then they make planes with their hands, imitating two planes colliding, before finishing it off with cocking guns at each other. They always burst out laughing, and today was no different.

"Never gets old," Ashley said as she finished laughing.

"You can say that again," Alex smiled.

"Are you going to see me at baseball later?" Ashley asked.

"I'd be disappointed if I wasn't," Alex replied. "Is it alright if your mom can drop me home today? Mine is currently out of town."

"Yeah, totally," Ashley smiled, before it slowly faded. "You know, I'm gonna miss you."

"Hey, I'm not going anywhere for the time being," Alex pointed out. "I promise to facetime you every weekend. And I'll come to visit sometimes, and you can visit me."

Ashely nodded, smiling again a little.

"Now let's get inside before Mr Yates will be at our necks for days," Alex said.

"You're not even going to be here in a few days," Ashley replied. "It's unfair, I have to deal with him way longer than you."

"Just be glad he's retiring next year," Alex replied as they entered the classroom, her voice a whisper so Mr Yates wouldn't hear her.