ʚɞ Prologue ʚɞ

The city of San Francisco was going through what most people would see as any other day. That is until two blazing specks of light come into view, zipping all over the place as one shoots lasers at the other.

One of the blazing specks is in the shape of a small enemy aircraft, flying throughout the city while it's chasing a blue hedgehog, who is running from the pursuer.

So, I know what you're thinking. Why is that incredibly handsome hedgehog being chased by a madman with a moustache from the Civil War?

Well, to be honest, it feels like I've been running my whole life.

Is this too much? Am I going too fast? It's kind of what I do.

You know what? Let's back up.

A lovely island stands in the middle of the ocean, filled with curvy mountains, long and lovely beaches, green areas and a rainbow flying over the top of the island.

This is the island where I'm from. It had everything. Sandy beaches, cascading waterfalls, public access to loop-de-loops. And I never had to catch a school bus because I could run across the entire island in less than two seconds.

A younger-looking version of the blue hedgehog runs across the terrain with a big smile on his face.

Also, there was no school. I know, pretty sweet island, right?

The hedgehog runs across a ramp and shoots up into the air, cheering before he lands back on the ground and continues zipping through his island.

I was born with extraordinary powers and was told to keep them secret. And like any kid, I did the exact opposite.

The hedgehog runs up some bridges and towards a small house. He curls into a ball, rolls into the house, jumps up, and playfully bumps into an owl while she is sleeping, causing her to wake up. The hedgehog lands on the ground and begins laughing happily

That's Longclaw. She took care of me. She was basically Obi-Wan Kenobi. If Obi-Wan Kenobi had a beak and ate mice.

Longclaw sighed worryingly at the hedgehog, "Sonic, someone could have seen you."

"No one saw me," Sonic chuckled. "I'm too fast! And, I wanted to bring you this."

Sonic pulls out a flower he had picked, which makes Longclaw smile and reach over to hold it. However, Longclaw notices a tribe of echidnas in the trees, aiming their weapons at the duo.

She then shuts the door and grabs Sonic to protect him, "Get down!"

The echidnas fire their arrows from their bows and they hit almost every corner of Longclaw's house, with one arrow breaking through the window and striking the flower, pinning it to the wooden floor.

Turns out with great power, comes great power-hungry bad guys. And I led them right to us.

The echidnas climb through the windows and prepare to attack, but Longclaw and Sonic escape through the back window as the echidnas continue firing arrows at them.

Eventually, one of the arrows hit Longclaw, knocking her and Sonic out of the sky and sending them plummeting to the ground.

A wounded Longclaw gets up and puts a very concerned Sonic on his feet and he looks up at her.

"Listen carefully, Sonic," Longclaw said, her voice shaky but determined. "You have a power unlike anything I have ever seen. And that means someone will always want it. The only way to stay safe is to stay hidden."

Longclaw takes a ring from her satchel and tosses it, which opens a portal to another location, "This world is on the far side of the universe. You should be safe there."

"I don't want to go without you!" Sonic protested.

"You must," Longclaw insisted as she handed Sonic her satchel of Rings. "These Rings will be your most important possession."

Longclaw gasps as she hears the echidna tribe getting closer, then she looks back down at Sonic, "If you're ever discovered, use one. Never stop running. Now, go!"

Sonic runs through the portal and looks back, horrified, as Longclaw prepares for attack, and he starts running back.

"Longclaw!" Sonic called out.

Longclaw looks back at Sonic one last time as the echidnas get even closer, "Goodbye, Sonic..."

"No!" Sonic cried out, running as fast as he could towards the portal, but before Sonic could get back to Longclaw, the portal disappeared.

As Sonic begins to let out loud and shaky breaths, he realizes that he is now all by himself and must do what Longclaw instructed.