Chapter 01: Coincidence?

Start from the beginning

"Isn't that enough time for Bates to complete his work?"

"He refuses to answer us now. He said he needed a phase of relaxation. He couldn't work in a chaotic environment, so we need you to be the one coming up." Jim scratched his neck.

"But I just wrote a book! How do you expect me to come up with another idea so fast? I need inspiration, and mostly motivation. I'm completely burnt down."

"It will affect your pay, Lav."

"Don't be so ridiculous, Jim. Are you even hearing yourself?" Lavender's brows furrowed in tension.

"The fact that Bates keeps his anonymity is what drives his readers crazy. They wait for his books eagerly."

"What does that have to do with me writing a book anyways? Don't you have any other writers to bother?"

"Lav, you rank the best right after Bates. If the fans find out that it's your book that's being published, they'd go crazy. Just imagine, a writer published two book a year; it'll give you a good following..."

"... and it will give Bates enough time to finsih his work." Lavender rolled her eyes.

"Erm, yes." Jim lowered his gaze in shame.

"I cannot do it. Find someone else. Creativity can't be forced." Lavender stood up, ready to bid her publisher goodbye.

"Come on, you can." Jim insisted.

"My word is final."

"Lavender, why are you after my job? Do you want me to go? Do you hate me that much that you wouldn't shed a tear if your favourite person is fired? The person who'd replace me won't be so co-operative and tolerate you like I do..." Jim said sentimentally.

"God, Jim." Lavender scoffed, giving in to his usual trick of emotional blackmail. "I need time for experiencing something new. Something different. It's not easy work."

"How about doing what you used to do?" Jim's face lit up brightly.

"Do what?"

"You know..."

"Jim, that was ages ago. I don't go to that place anymore eversince that incident."

"It's not like the place is still the same. It has changed. Come on, I'll even pay for your expense from my own pocket." Jim joined his hands in front of her.

"Alright, but if something goes wrong, I'm not writing a novel."

"You have my word."

****

Somewhere in the underworld, in the places of dark and ruthless human existence, lived a young handsome man. His job?

Mafia.

He was widely known in the mafia world, despite remaining mysterious and keeping business confidential. He maintained a low profile and was too dangerous to pick a fight with. A word from his mouth was a bullet from the gun.

All he needed to do was, say the right word at the right time.

Tristen.

Tristen Killings was the most powerful mafia known in the network of underworld. He dealt with every kind of illegal business. Drugs, weapons, goods, diamonds and what not. You name it, he did it. Nevertheless, he was another perfectionist. He did his work with utter perfection leaving no trace of his existence behind.