I looked up the slope of the grassy mountain that lay in front of me, occasionally forcing down a shiver that curled its way through me from the foggy veils of mist that wafted past. Behind us lay an array of rocky cliffs leading to a deadly ocean beyond.

    Rhys stood at my side, double-edged swords sheathed down his back to match my own. Knives strapped to his legs and he'd demanded we both wear Illyrian fighting leathers—not that I protested. The leathers were similar to what I used to wear. Rhys wore a close-fitting jacket that had been built to accommodate the wings that spread wide across his back.

    After breakfast Rhys had taken me to the study to help him craft a draft letter to Summer Court, carefully requesting that we visit. He'd never bothered to explain why he was sending it, only caring to say that it was to "Improve diplomatic relations", which I thought was a complete load of shit, but I digress.

"And where exactly are we?" I questioned. The first words we'd spoken since winnowing here moments ago.

"An island in the heart of the Western Isles," Rhysand raised a hand, pointing to the large mammoth mountain I stared at, "And that," he said, "is the prison."

Lovely.

I wasn't aware hiking was part of the job.

"This place," he explained further, "was made before High Lords existed. Before Prythian was Prythian. Some of the inmates remember those days. Remember a time when it was Mor's family, not mine, that ruled the North."

"And why won't the Tiny ancient one enter?" I questioned a little breathily as I stared.

"Because she was once a prisoner."

"Not in that body, I take it."

"No. Not at all." Rhys said with a cruel smile.

I let out an exasperated breath. I probably should have asked more questions about what I was walking into. My bad.

"The hike will get your blood warming," he said, "Since we can't winnow inside or fly to the entrance—the wards demand that visitors walk in. The long way."

Going under another mountain. A prison nonetheless...

I could do this. I could do this. I could do it. I would do it. I could—I could do this.

"Okay," I breathed, the words barely more than an exhale.

"It helps the panic," he said quietly, "to remind myself that I got out. That we all got out."

"I'm not panicking." I denied it even as I couldn't remove my eyes from the dark, looming mountain.

"Liar."

"I'm not lying." Still Staring.

Rhys took on a more determined tone then, "We got out. And it might happen again if we don't go inside."

"Then, let's go," I said even as I willed my body to move but stood in place. I was a statue, unable to move my limbs even if I wanted to.

I could do this. I could do this. I could do this. I could do it. I could do it.

I couldn't do it.

"Danika?" Rhys questioned.

"I can do it." my voice cracked, my body was not my own. It would not obey. "I can do this," I said again a bit more faintly.

Rhysands hand was on my arm, turning me to face him. He must have seen the sheer panic in my eyes because he winnowed us away without a second thought, bringing us back to the sunny colors of Velaris.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Rhysands hands were a steadying on my shoulders as I tried to scrape away the thoughts that had wormed their way back into my mind.

    "We-we should go back." I said as I closed my eyes, centering myself again.

    He tipped my chin up so that I looked at him fully as I opened my eyes, "We'll try again tomorrow." he nodded, "And if it doesn't work out, then we'll figure out something else, alright?"

    I nodded absently. I didn't think there was another way. We needed answers, and this Bone Carver seemed like the only way to get them.

    I didn't say goodbye before I started walking up to my room, muttering "Tomorrow," to myself as I did. "I'll do it tomorrow."

    I didn't bother getting out of bed that day.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: awwwweeee