Chapter 13

I lay on top of Marco, tracing each tattoo on his chest. "What now Marco?" I lifted my head up from his chest to look at him. He whispered burying his head in my hair, "go to sleep for now. We'll decide tomorrow."

I smiled up at him, "today was fun"

He chuckled, "yeah...in making me loose my sleep!" With that, he started to tickle me. "St...o..p! Marco please." I begged in gasps.

His eyes darkened, "keep doing that and I'll have to shut you up with something else."

I immediately stopped giggling, and in response he started chuckling. He shook his head, "go to sleep Bella. It's 3 in the morning and I have to leave."

I whined, "Why? You could stay 1 day more."

He stayed silent playing with my hair.

"Marco..." I looked at him again

"Hmm" He replied indicating to me that he was listening.

"Why can't you stay with me? I'll tell you about everything. The things that I've gone through, the things I will go through. Please Marco, just give me a sign that you want to stay."

He sighed, "Bella we can't have this conversation again, so please drop it."

I threw my blanket off and walked into the bathroom locking it. I slipped against the door, and started crying. He wasn't even trying for this relationship to work.

After 3 or 4 hours, Marco came to the door and whispered, "baby..."

He was at a lost of words, and so was I. We both wanted each other, actually needed each other, yet at this point no one knew how to solve our problems; not even us.

"Baby," he tried again, "I can't be with you because my mafia has a lot of enemies, and I can't risk your life. Why don't you understand? I can't have you, not then and not now."

"Why?" I whispered in between tears

"Because..." he was growing frustrated. I could hear it in his voice, "you're special to me, and I can't risk your life. And even if I do get married to you, I'm a selfish man Bella, I would want a family; that child would forever be in danger, and if he is a 'he', he would need to lead the mafia when he grows up. I don't want to do that to him. I don't want to put him what we both went through. Why can't you understand? Don't make it even harder than it is already. I don't want to leave you, but it is what it is, okay?"

I opened the bathroom door, and hugged him. "I'm willing." I whispered to him in his ear. He lifted me up, as I put my legs around his waist. He closed his eyes and lay me in bed, "but I'm not."

Without another word he left me...again. Making me realise the loneliness in my bedroom.