But he was wrong. 

And he knew it now. 

And he also knew it was too late to set things right and draw lines now. It had been fourteen years, after all. 

If only he had gathered enough courage to yell back at his husband and show him how much of an asshole he was being. But alas, he had no such dare. The one time he tried to yell back, he had ended up not attending his brother's wedding. 

He didn't want to try again.

~~~~~~~~~~~

14 Feb 2003

"HOW CAN YOU NOT INVITE YUGYEOM TO THE WEDDING?! YOU DO KNOW HOW CLOSE AND IMPORTANT HE IS TO ME, RIGHT?! OR DO YOU NOT CARE WHAT I THINK?! MY PARENTS ARE HERE NOW, SO I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU, IS THAT IT?! IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE FEELING?!" 

"S-Seobang-nim-"

"SHUT UP!! DON'T YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING!! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR FILTHY VOICE!!"

"NO, YOU SHUT UP!!" Hyungsik, Taehyung's father yelled. Taehyung's eyes widened and he scrambled to save the situation, but it was too late already. His father was already yelling at his husband by then. 

"WHO GAVE YOU THE RIGHT TO TALK LIKE THAT TO MY SON?! IS THIS WHAT I GAVE HIM TO YOU FOR?! HAVE SOME MANNERS, WILL YOU?! We are giving you respect here only because you are Tae's husband. You better hold that respect!!" 

Jeongguk's eyes widened and his jaw ticked. His hands closed to form strong fists and Taehyung's heart jumped to his throat. He rushed forward to hold his husband back. "It's okay, it's okay, please l-let it go, seobang-nim, please I-I beg you. I apologize for what m-my father said. Please," he pleaded frantically, glaring violently at his father for ruining things further. 

All Taehyung had to do was lower his head, let his husband yell until his anger reduced, and then say sorry. He could have brought the situation under control. Why did his father have to come in between and make things worse?

"IT'S NOT FUCKING OKAY!! FIRST YOU DON'T INVITE MY BEST FRIEND TO YOUR BROTHER'S WEDDING, AND NOW YOUR USELESS FATHER IS YELLING AT ME, HUH?! WHAT'S THIS?! DID YOU PLAN THIS WITH YOUR FAMILY?! TO COLLECTIVELY INSULT ME?! YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY IS FULL OF SHI-"

"THAT'S NOT IT AND YOU KNOW IT!!" Taehyung yelled. He was still new to his husband badmouthing his parents and he couldn't take it anymore. 

This was the first time he yelled at Jeongguk, and he regretted it right away, but he couldn't do anything about it anymore. He was just glad his brother was busy getting ready in the other room and knew nothing about the current fight. 

Jeongguk's eyes widened further. "Did you just yell at me?!" he asked in a low voice. Taehyung flinched and shook his head vigorously, but the damage was already done. 

"YOU DARE TO TALK BACK AND YELL AT ME?!!" Taehyung flinched harder and shook his head more, a couple of tears falling out of his eyes as he did so. "Pack your things, we are leaving," Jeongguk said and without another word, he left the wedding hall before the wedding could even begin. 

Taehyung stared at his husband's back until it disappeared, hoping his husband didn't actually mean it when he said they were going to leave, but deep down, he knew he had to leave. He knew he had no other option. 

"Tae, what happened? I just saw Jeongguk-ssi storm out," Seokjin asked, entering the room just then with a concerned expression. 

None of them replied to him, however. "Tae, you need not go. You know that, right? He's being a jerk right now. It will be fine. You can stay. I'll drop you back home after the wedding. It will be fine," Hyungsik said, but Taehyung was already shaking his head. 

"No, Appa, don't make it worse. It will not be fine if I don't go with him now. Bye," he said in a small voice and looked at his brother with bloodshot eyes, holding a dam of tears in. "Bye, hyung. I love you. I'll miss you. I'll miss your wedding," he said and hugged his brother.

"Wha- wait, what?! Why are you leaving?! Someone fill me in, please?!" Seokjin asked incredulously, looking to his mother for help. His mother only shook her head, crying pathetically with a tissue under her nose. 

"S-Seobang-nim and I had a small fight and he is pissed is all. I need to go with him if I don't want him to get more pissed. That's all. Bye, hyung. Enjoy your honeymoon," Taehyung said and ran out of the room to collect his things. 

Thankfully, Jeongguk didn't assume he was going to stay and leave yet. 

Most importantly, for some reason, he didn't bring up what happened at the wedding again. 

It was as if nothing had happened. 

But something did happen. Despite having his husband yell at him many times until then, that was the first time Taehyung felt insignificant. That was the first time he questioned his life decisions. That was the first time his heart splintered. 

That was the first time he realized what a mistake he had done by not drawing lines right after getting married. 

That was the first time he wondered what his life would have been like if he hadn't married Jeongguk.