| li: a twist in the tale |

Start from the beginning

From the closet to every corner of my room, even the locker, I found nothing. Tiredly dropping myself on the bed, I laid down and faced the ceiling with my feet dangling at the edge.

I let out a long sigh at the fan rotating above me. I guess I had really emptied my room. Letting my fingers run through my hair, I tried to recall something significant that I found here.

Gosh, I was really angry that day. I had taken a lot of things with me but had thrown away a lot as well.

And it was that moment when I remembered.

I forgot to check my wardrobe in the room. It could only be me who searched every corner of the room and failed to notice the large cupboard right in front of my eyes.

Smacking my head for my foolishness, I jumped off the bed and went over to my wardrobe which was just beside my dressing table.

When I opened the drawer, the first reaction that came out of me was laughter. I laughed hard as I saw my old underwear lying on the shelf of my cupboard.

I guess I had not cleared my things properly.

God, Maa and Papa went all out to keep my things in place.

Chucking it in one of the drawers before any of the guys barged in, I started checking other shelves. Nothing was really in there, except for my underwear.

But then my eyes fell over the locker. My fingers traced the outline of the locker feeling every bit of it. It was a digital lock, just like any other locker in the Agarwal House.

I had kept the most random things in my locker, nothing that valuable. Now when I think of it, I used to keep new supplies of my medicines and stationery in it.

I had never once opened my locker when I cleared the room.

My index finger hovered over a random digit as I thought of the password to my locker. I had to get this right by any means because if I get the password wrong twice, an alarm will go off and my parents will be alerted.

I don't want them to come this soon.

I paced to and fro in the room, thinking of all kinds of digits that I could have kept as the password. After Ruhi's death, my memory had become hazy. I wondered how I scored so well in my board exams during those intense times.

My birthday? No, that was too common.

Di's? Maa's? Papa's?

No, no and no. It wasn't that simple.

Not even my friends' birthdays.

And then, a familiar number popped into my head. In my heart, I was ninety per cent sure that was the one. But I had my doubts.

There were two tries so I decided to go ahead with the number that was on my mind. But before I could press the digits, my phone vibrated in my pocket.

I took out my phone and saw that it was Vihaan who was calling me.

"Yeah?"

"Come to the CCTV Surveillance room. I think I found it," he spoke and my heart took a dip.

"O-Okay," he hung up and I kept staring at my phone. I guess this was it. Taking one final look at the locker, I decided that it was better that I would take a look at his later on.

And then I marched out of the room and headed towards the surveillance room. On my way there, there was only one question on my mind, why didn't Maa and Papa tell anyone about it?

How many more secrets do I have to know?

When I entered the surveillance room I saw that my friends were already present there. They were standing behind Vihaan who was seated on the chair in front of the computer. "Did you guys get anything?" I asked them as I joined them.