In the moment

Jack was woken by mae blasting some new cover of stormzy's birthday girl, he sank his head back down in his pillow at the memory of every influencer posting birthday tribute videos to their besties on their Instagram stories. He rubs the palms of his hands down his face not really sure where the last ten years of his life went.

His phone buzzes on the side

Text message Woodsy - Just letting you know I'm still okay covering today! Hope Mae has the best day. Send my love! LW x

He reply's back a small thank you, before going back to reminiscing about his life.

He was fortunate to see out his footballing career for as long as he could but at 35 he sustained one of the worst injuries he could have ever imagined. He had an away game against Middlesbrough and during the second half he collided with an ill timed tackle causing extensive compound fractures to both the tibia and fibula. He ended up having a total of 15 surgeries to try repair it as well as they could, but Doctors advised him to retire, as further damage could have led to him never being able to walk again.

He spent a few years in physio and although now it feels completely fine to him, sometimes when he's playing football with Bennett in the garden, it niggles until it causes him to retreat back to one of the egg chairs Soph had arranged in the little nook in the back of the garden. He sits and reflects on his career, happy with how far he got but he always assumed it would be his knee that would put him out of play. He watches Bennett smacking the ball in the back of the net, and he sees so much of himself in him. Villas new up and coming player, and jack always admitted he was twice as good as what he was at that age.

He was also right when he stroked his tiny baby legs the day he was born, his legs now thick as tree trunks at 19 years old. Although there was a point at 14 where jack was starting to worry that he was going to get sophs legs, he was so gangly until he properly hit puberty. His hair was dark like sophs, but he opted for an effortlessly messy look as his curls formed perfectly pushed to one side. The complete opposite to jacks signature slicked back look, although his hair is more highlighted with peppered grey streaks than bleach these days.

Mae had been a handful before her pre teens, sneaking out the house, sneaking boys in the house, throwing house party's when jack and Soph where away, getting her belly button pierced at 14 behind their backs thinking she could hide it on their family holidays. She had the attitude of Satan but the face of an angel. She was firey, stubborn, but extremely talented at painting. She'd painted multiple paintings for jacks friends that had in return put a few thousand towards her savings. She was the complete opposite to Bennett, and they clashes continuously growing up.

That evening as they prepare to leave for maes birthday jack gives an over the top introduction as she floats effortlessly down the stairs of their family home in a black and gold satin and lamé Gucci dress. Jack had picked the dress 15 years earlier during his sponsorship with them. When they asked if he would like to pick something for the kids it was the last thing they assumed he'd choose. But he said it would be timeless, and she'd appreciate it more when she was older than what she would as a toddler trashing it. He was right, when he handed it her this morning she burst into tears. She said it meant more than anything else she got that day, which also included a Tesla. 

Her party was over the top, but beautiful. Everyone admired her in her dress, all of them absolutely shocked it was something that jack had picked out. He was proud of the woman she'd become. He wrapped his arms around Soph kissing her hair as they watch their daughter partying with her friends 'do you think we made the right decision?' Soph asks as she breaths into his chest.

He stands back utterly confused by the question 'I dunno what ya mean bab?'

Sophs eyes scan over both of their children 'not making anymore of these two?' She looks up smiling at him.

'Nah ya know what, these where a handful. Now I think about it, I don't think we coulda coped with anymore. Well apart from, yknow' they both giggle fondly at the carnage the both of them have caused over the years.

They'd made the decision together that mae and Bennett were all they needed a few years after failed trying. Jack got the snip not long after so Soph didn't have to continuously take contraceptive pills. It was then finalised they'd always be a family of 4.

They looked around the room at their friends and family, John and jo whose son Oscar had taken a shine to mae early on and they've always been inseparable ever since. Ellie was sat with her husband Stephen, little did she know when she caught that bouquet it wasn't going to be phil she married. Infact Phil went on to have two children from one night stands and another with his current girlfriend Alice. Ruben and Ada married a year after jack and Soph, but split 3 years later due to wanting different things however they reconnect two summers ago, and are now happier than ever. Sophs dad is still going strong, but took the decision to move to a private care home. They visit him weekly and he adores the kids!

Mae dances with her grandad before jack interrupts him, Soph leading him off in to waltz as jack sways around the floor with mae. 'I'm so proud of you ya know' he whispers in hair making her giggle.

'Stop it dad! I ain't crying here, ya can save it for later yeah!' She grins up at him with that cheeky smile she'd learnt from jack.

'Alright I just wanted ya to know' he hold his hands up in surrender as an upbeat song came on. 'I'll leave ya to it' he laughs as she turns and joins her friends all huddled in the dance floor.

He heads back to Soph who's now sat alone on a table at the side of the dancefloor. He sits next to her, holding her hand saying nothing as they happily watch their children dance like loonatics through the strobe lights. It was there in that moment he knew he had everything.

But the moment was soon broke by John and jo who came bounding over 'have you seen this!' Jos holding her phone out with a news article. 'Who do you think it is?'

John rolls his eyes at Jack at the the girls gossiping. 'What is it like?' Jack says pulling his glasses out his pocket ready to read the article.

18 year old secret love child of ex pro footballer ready to meet dad after birthday revelation

'Nah how can ya keep a kid hidden for 18 years!' Jack shakes his head in disbelief.

Jo shrugs her shoulders 'dunno could always take them away to another country! Imagine all the child support they owe, would be enough to bankrupt them.'

'That's true, who's the mum does it say?' Sophs asks now to deep into the story as she flicks through the pages. 'Urgh it just says model'

'Can't be another one of phillipas one night stands could it?' John jokes as he nods towards phil who sat around a table full of the lads.

Jack purses his lips as he looks straight ahead in thought 'I dunno but 18/19 years ago, defo gotta be someone we know ain't it?' He tilts his head to the side trying to remember nights out he'd had with the lads around then. There was definitely more than enough opportunities for them to knock someone up on the sly. He thinks back to his own doings and he can't remember putting himself in a position where he could knock someone up.

Jo, soph and John carry on gossiping as Jack zones out over thinking. But it hits him, it could be him couldn't it? Bennett's 19, Soph was pregnant when it happened but surely someone would have told him she's pregnant? She couldn't have hid that from the whole of Solihull for 18 years? He slumps back down in his chair. Surely it wasn't him?

'Is everything okay Jack?' Soph looks at him, he's gone pale and his skins giving a slight sheen in the disco lights from his clamminess.

He looks up at her, lost for words. His eyes wide with shock. He darts them between the three of them as they watch him intently.

'I think it's .. I think it's me!'

**the end**

Who's ready for a sequel? Is it jacks or has he jumped to conclusions? Will Sara make a return? Will Bennett make the first team? Will Phil ever settle?

Stay tuned for more ❤️