Just your typical work day ..

It felt like one of the longest summers she'd ever had, work had been so busy post lockdown. It was nearing the end of her shift, her feet were swollen from the heat and being on them all day, she kept hearing over the radio that it was one of the hottest days of the year and all she could think about was getting to the beer garden for an ice cold kopperberg.

'How many more clients do you have in Soph?' Jo peered over the diary with concern she was looking like she might pass out.
'Just the one' Soph replied, gazing back to the reflection in the floor to ceiling mirror of a women she no longer recognised.
Jo put her hand on her shoulder 'we'll see you at the pub though yeah?'
'Yeah definitely' not sure if she sounded convincing she shot her a smile as she grabbed her belongings and hurried out the door.
It was now 5.15pm and she had been watching the clock for the last 10 minutes waiting for her next client who was booked in at 5. 'Urgh another no show' talking out loud to herself as she slumped in the salon chair and reached for the straighteners. The humidity had got to her hair today, her post partum baby hairs all curled up like little horns. 'Are you ever going to grow out' she mumbled as she clamped the straighteners hard on them and forced them back to normality.
'I didn't know this was a do it yourself kinda salon'
Startled she jumped up from the chair and straighten her pinny. As she looked up she couldn't believe her eyes. 'I .. i ... i'
'Nah I'm only kidding, am sorry am abit late, traffic was shocking, ya ain't waited around for me have ya?'
Still struggling to get her words out, she stared at him trying to process what was happening. Maybe the heat had gone to her head, this can't be real she's hallucinating right? 'No no honestly it's fine, come take a seat!' As she gestured her hand towards the salon chair. Smooth Soph she thought to herself and rolled her eyes hoping he didn't see.
He brushes passed her as he went to sit down, the musky smell of his aftershave filling the air as he goes by. 'Cheers for this honestly the state of my barnet I couldn't go any longer, ya know reputation of the best hair and all that' as he took his hat off and ran his fingers through his hair, leaving it to flop perfectly into place.
She gazed at him in the mirror, he looked so effortless in his balenciaga tshirt, grey essential shorts and sliders. 'So what we doing today then? Not a number one?' Joking with him she watch as his face dropped with worry.
'Urmm, not exactly, I like the length on top' he ran his fingers through his hair again, 'but the sides could do with a little tidy up, I normally get them clippered every 2 weeks but me barbers got Covid and we'll i can't wait another two week ya get me?'
Clearly possessive over his hair like one of those women that comes in for a trim but they cry if they see any hair on the floor. 'Okay so we'll just take the sides abit shorter and blend it in yeah?'
He smiled and the look of relief spread across his face as it lit up 'yeah sounds good bab'
Soph rested her hands on his shoulders and smiled in agreement before she walked off to get a cutting cape.
As she started cutting, she could feel his eyes burning into her watching her every move. She couldn't work out if it was nervousness of someone new touching his hair or genuine amazement of watching someone with skill, like when you get your acrylics done at a nail bar.
'How you settling in round here then Jack? It's been a big move for you I hear' Soph trying not to act like he hasn't been the hot topic of salon gossip.
Jack shifted in the chair 'yeah, I mean it's been alright. Everyone's been dead friendly and that, and the new apartment was fully furnished so it's been no fuss like'
She wondered what his apartment was like, probably a full on bachelor pad with black leather sofas and chrome accents. 'That sounds ideal' she says focusing running her comb and scissor up the side of his head to blend it through.
'Yeah it is yknow, but the bed was no good like sure it wasn't even a double couldn't even roll ova innit' she giggles at the thought and he watches her face curiously. 'But the views are good so can't grumble for the set up really'
Soph brushes off the access hair from around his neck with a fluffy brush. 'How do you want finishing off today?' He smirks at her through the mirror as her face beams red, 'your your hair, how do you like it styled?' She stuttered.
'Me hair of course' his eyes not leaving hers, 'errr actually couldn't put the top in braid could ya? I've got a game tonight so could do with it out me face'
As her fingers got to work on braiding his hair she couldn't help but admire the freckles on his face, he doesn't look 25 she thought. As she finished tying the elastic she smiled proudly to herself thinking how much the girls would swoon over him walking on the pitch all tight kitted and short tucked completed with a braid.
'Ya abit lost in thought there?' Shit was she really just say dreaming about him while he was right there?
'I was just admiring the braid, the girls will love it!' She tried not to break her smile into a laugh as she removed the cutting cape. 'Is that okay for you?' She bloody hoped so, she didn't want be known for fucking up jack grealish's hair.
'Yeah it's mint that like, buzzing' beaming at her as he stood up to get closer to the mirror to check it out. A wave of relief hit her as she walked over to the reception desk. 'Ow much do i owe ya ..' he paused deep in thought 'sorry I didn't get ya name?'
'Sophie' she looked up from the desk shyly 'but everyone calls me Soph'
'Well Soph, what's the damage' he's beaming at her again
She scans the price board next to the till acting like she wasn't aware how much they charge '£15 please Jack'
She types the amount in the card machine and hold it forward for him to ping his contactless. 'Actually Soph, do ya do like hair colours an that as well'
'Of course we offer a very wide range of colouring services' hearing herself talk she tried hard to resist the urge to cringe.
'Do ya do like house visits? Cause like ..' he shuffles slightly embarrassed looks down and looks back up at her '.. I get blonde bit put in some times with them tin foil bits and I was wondering if maybe I dunno if that's something ya did?'
'Yes we do, and we do the odd mobile visit but it's normally for senior citizens who struggle to get out and about' what was she getting into here she thought to herself, surely he's not asking her to colour his hair, in his apartment, a professional footballer.
His facial expression beaming at her again like a Labrador puppy 'could ya like do that for me? Make it abit blonder? But at me apartment?'
Shit how can she say no to that face! And before she could even talk herself out of it the words exited her mouth 'that would be no problem at all, when are you thinking?'