I wasn't sure how to respond to this at first. I didn't think the logic to his statement made much sense, but then again, who was I to question him? Besides, I hadn't planned on dating Blake. Heck, I hadn't planned on dating anyone while in this situation, so this was all fine with me. I couldn't imagine starting a relationship based on a huge lie; I literally was introducing myself under a false name to everyone, with a false background, false age, and even a different style.

"Noted," I said, "Trust me, you don't need to worry about that."

I took a few steps towards my bed, flinching as a sharp pang shot through my arm.

"Still hurts?" Jax asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "I think the ibuprofen from this morning is wearing off. I just really want to take some more and lie down." I stole a glance up at my bed. "Could... while you're here... do you think you could help me back up onto my bed? Just make sure I don't fall off?"

I was embarrassed to even ask, but I knew if I tried to climb to bed on my own right now that I'd end up hurting myself worse.

"Of course," he responded, grabbing the bottle of ibuprofen off the microwave, "take these first."

I did as I was told, and when I was finished, Jaxon helped me up the ladder, lifting me by my hips and keeping a palm on my back until I was secure at the top of my bed. I thanked him again and then he was gone, and I was left to my thoughts.

Classes started tomorrow, and although I was prepared, I still wasn't ready. I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to just move on as though my life wasn't completely turned upside down. Today I had flickers of moments where I thought that everything would be okay... but then there were times like now, when I was left alone, when my painful memories consumed me.

I supposed all I could do for now is try my best to move forward, no matter what it entailed. I knew this life would take some getting used to, but ready or not, I was about to start my new life; my new life as Skyler Finley.

******

The first few days went by without a hitch. Jaxon and I were actually becoming fairly good friends. I found out that he really wasn't the hard-ass that I had made him out to be in the beginning and he actually could be pretty funny when he wanted to be.

Hannah and I also were becoming closer. We hadn't yet had a weekend together, but we sat together during class and we did have the occasional movie night in our dorm. I hadn't really seen too much of Blake since the coffee shop, and I was okay with it. Don't get me wrong, I liked Blake a lot but I also didn't want any more awkward tension with Jax and I because of the whole "you can't date my roommate" conversation.

I also was learning that although my situation was pretty awful, I did have a lot to be thankful for. First of all, California was gorgeous, and each day walking the beautiful campus provided me with more things to love about the school. In addition, thus far, I was actually feeling like I would enjoy my classes... with the exception of calculus of course.

The hardest part for me in the first few days was that I couldn't directly speak to my dad. But again, I was grateful that Jax would relay some information to me about how he was doing from time to time; all information given to him by Chief Hale. Chief would send people to check in on him to make sure he was remaining safe, and so far it seemed that he was.