CHAPTER 57

As everyone inside the manor went down the stairs from the Kitchen mezzanine, all the lights went out, and Scarlet and Mila screamed in fright, stopping in the middle of the stairs, leaning on the railing. Scarlet turned on her MC's flashlight illuminating the Kitchen below. She then aimed the beam of light up the stairs to check if there was anyone more than expected.

"Let's continue," she said, following down and lighting the improvised tables in the kitchen to avoid any accident.

The group walked through the kitchen towards the back door and then headed towards the garage door into the dark night. Lélia had her MC turned on and was accessing some information.

"The power systems of the entire Island have failed," she said.

Mila's shrill scream cut through the night, and when Lélia looked up, she could see a being identical to the one they had just encountered at the vacuum train station. Anna took the lead, and before anyone could do anything, she cast a spell throwing back the killer, who returned the attack, causing Anna to be thrown against the group.

"Run back to the Ballroom. Van must be stuck in the elevator," she said. "I'll hold the killer here," she said.

"Anna, come with...," Nair began.

"There is no time," Anna said, casting another spell against the being.

"Come on, guys," Lélia spoke, pulling Mila and Scarlet by the arms.

Everyone turned on their flashlights and returned to the kitchen, climbing back up the stairs to the mezzanine.

"There is a magic elevator drive control, which does not depend on electricity," said Nair.

"Is it possible to trigger from the inside?" Marta asked.

"No, a component needs to be unlocked just above the door on the first floor of the Manor, and then the brakes are unlocked, and we can move the cabin with magic," said Nair.

Outside, great flashes cut through the night, and the sound of small explosions made everyone anxious.

"Anna is much stronger than she looks," Lélia said. "She will be fine."

Richard climbed the stairs that led to the double doors of the Asturian Manor's Ballroom, taking three steps at a time, and as soon as he entered the utterly dark hall, he lit his MC. Lélia, Marta, Mila, Scarlet, Mário, and Nair were startled by the sound of the door opening, and as soon as Richard's MC's flashlight was lit, he said:

"It is me."

"Richard," Lélia said. "Come here."

"What is going on?"

"Latter," Lélia spoke.

Scarlet illuminated the elevator door, and Nair pointed to a small device above the door, right next to the screws that used to hold the blonde woman's painting.

"Someone needs to perform the spell to support the elevator, and then, Mário, you who are the tallest, can disable the mechanical brakes," said Nair.

"I hold the elevator," Lélia said, positioning herself in front of the doors and lowering her head to concentrate.

"As soon as it's ok, just let me know, Lélia," said Mário.

"Ready," Lélia confirmed.

Mário pressed the small button, and a forced noise of gears emerged as Lélia kept her head and eyes closed and turned her right index finger clockwise and her left index finger counterclockwise. The process took almost a minute, and the sounds of dueling outside the kitchen could no longer be heard, which worried everyone. As soon as the sounds of gears stopped, Lélia said: