A Friend in a Stranger

⚠️Warning!!⚠️️ This will contain abuse! If this triggers you, please don't read! This is your heads up.
_________________________________________

It's dark. The moon is bright, casting a soft glow across the building that only brings pain and torture to the small grey haired boy. He walks through the foliage that covers the orphanage fence, providing the perfect cover for him to sneak around without being caught by the headmaster. He drags his hand along the bars that separates him from the freedom he has dreamed of for years.

Most people would think that the age of sixteen is another year closer to adulthood and that their next two years are going to fly, but for Atsushi, it was painfully slow. Literally. Ever since being dropped off at the orphanage by his parents he has been mistreated by the staff and some kids he was living with. He had lost all hope of leaving. Kids come and go all the time, but nobody wanted the unsocial boy with uneven bangs and wierd eyes.

The silence of the night was interrupted by the sound of footsteps, bringing the boy to a stop. He looked through the bars of the fence and caught sight of a person a few feet away. They didn't seem to have spotted him yet. They were looking up at the orphanage with, wonder?

"Hello?" He spoke.

The person shifted their gaze to scan the fence. When they saw the grey haired boy, they stepped closer. It was a boy that didn't seem much older than him.

"Is someone there?" He asked.

"Yeah." Atsushi replied.

"Where are you?"

"Here." He stuck his arm through the bars and waved it up and down before retracting it.

The strange boy stopped about two feet from the fence. From what Atsushi could tell, he had black hair, light colored eyes, a lean physique, and was wearing all black. His skin was pale.

"What are you doing in the bush?" He asked.

"Nothing?" His reply came out like a question, causing the latter to quirk up am eyebrow.

"You sure?" He asked.

"Yeah?" Again, his response came out sounding like a question.

"Are you hiding?"

"Maybe."

"Why?"

"For fun?"

"Fun? You're hiding for fun in the middle of the night where no one can see you and I am almost positive that every sane person here would be asleep."

"Yeah." Atsushi nodded.

They stood in silence for a moment before the dark haired male sighed.

"I'm just going to take your word for it because I have no room to object, but I am curious. Why would you be out here at night?"

"It's the only time and place I get freedom from the nightmares I relive day after day inside the building behind me." Was the reply the grey haired boy gave him before going back inside for the night.

That was the first of many meetings the two boys had.

They learned more and more about each other as their talks got longer and the nights got shorter. Time seemed to fly when they talked.

Atsushi learned that the other boy's name was Akutagawa Ryunosuke. He has a little sister named Gin. His parents were killed in a car accident and they were raised by a man by the name of Osamu Dazai. He is a suicidal maniac but a blast to have around when he wasn't being annoying. Later, they met a man named Chuuya Nakahara that was actual Dazai's secret lover. Akutagawa is 18 years old and, for the past week, he has been coming by the orphanage every night just to stare at the building he could have grown up in if it weren't for Dazai.