Let Them

(Atsushi's POV)

I just smiled at my boyfriend as he continued talking about something that happened at work. He was telling about how Tachihara asked Gin out but was turned down when she came out in front of a few mafia members by kissing her girlfriend Higuchi.

"I wasn't fond of the public affection she showed, but the look on Higuchi's face was worth it." He finished before taking a drink of his tea.

It was 4:16 in the afternoon and he just got home from work. I had the day off because Kunikida said that Ranpo and Dazai were going to be helping him with a case that had been reopened a little over a year ago. Kyouka was helping Yosano with some shopping and doing some little things around the agency, such as cleaning and putting some things back in order in Yosano's room. Junichiro and Kenji were taking on some of the smaller cases here in town and said they wouldn't need anymore help so I decided to call in and stay home.

I just chuckled at his story as he set his cup back down and sat back in his seat. "How was your day Atsu?" He asked.

"Boring." I replied simply, causing a small smile to form on his face.

"Well, then how about we go do something." He proposed before standing up, taking my hand so that I was pulled up with him. "I'll go change and then we can leave but you choose where we go. Okay?"

I nodded and pecked his lips before walking into the living room to turn off the TV I was watching a few minutes ago. Once I had my shoes on, Ryu was walking back into the room wearing a simple black t-shirt and black jeans. I was wearing something similar, only my shirt was blue and my jeans were white.

He took my hand before leading me out the door, keys in hand. After locking the door, we began walking down the street, content in the silence that surrounded us as we walked.

A few minutes later Aku spoke. "So, where do you want to go?"

"Can we just walk?" I asked.

"If that's what you want." He replied before pressing a chaste kiss on my temple.

As we continued, we began getting into a busier part of town and I became well aware of all the looks we were getting. When my eyes met those of a bigger man, I dropped Ryu's hand upon seeing the glare he was giving me. As soon as we were out of his sight, I took his hand again. He didn't say anything about it, so I didn't bother to worry about it too much.

We continued walking, occasionally pointing something out to the other. A few minutes later, we had to pass by a group of friends that were talking amongst themselves until one of them pointed at me. Everyone else looked in our direction and some of them laughed while others glared or gave a nasty look.

I dropped his hand again, this time not taking hold of it when we were out of their sight. I began to fall behind Ryu a little bit and he noticed this. He stopped and turned around, gently grabbing my hand.

"Babe, what's wrong?" He asked.

"Oh, nothing." I shook my head with a fake smile. "Just thinking."

"Okay." He nodded, although his expression told me that he wasn't fully convinced with the answer I gave him. He didn't push it, instead kept a hold of my hand and began walking again, this time right next to me.

I looked around as we passed by shops, stands, and many groups of people, a lot of which gave us weird looks, nasty glares, or confused glances. We approached a small stand to get some crepes when a group of college aged friends stopped at a stand next to us. They all looked over and broke into laughter before they spoke about us. I heard some of their words, and I began to get extremely self conscious. They got loud enough where I could hear some phrases as well.

"At least choose someone that knows how to cut their hair." One boy said.

"I know right. It's honestly disgusting either way." A girl replied.

They continued speaking insults and I, as subtle as possible, shifted a little further away from Ryu and hid our hands as well as I could. Ryu looked over at me with a slightly exasperated expression before gripping my hand and pulling me out of the line and through the crowd of people. Just before we exited the crowd and got onto open streets, a man muttered an insult under his breath, to which Ryu shoved his shoulder with his, making the man lose his balance.

He continued to lead me down the street until we reached a deserted alleyway and he turned around to face me.

"Jinko, don't lie to me, are you sure you're okay? I heard what those kids were saying back in that line next to us. If it was bothering you that much, why didn't you say anything? I would have switched places with you so you." He said.

"I'm fine Ry-"

"Jinko, I told you not to lie to me. I know that those people were bothering you with what they were saying, but what about before? You kept dropping my hand while we walked."

"I know." I muttered as I looked away from him.

"Atsu, whatever they say or however they look at you, just tell yourself that I will never leave you, they are jealous because they will never be able to find someone as kind and good looking as you, and that they are too cowardly to fight you physically. They just want to get under your skin and make you believe that we are wrong." He pulled me into a hug.

"I'm sorry Ryu, but they make me feel like it's wrong to be with you."

"I know, but unless you believe that being with me is wrong, then what they say doesn't matter. Let them talk. Let them stare. But just know that they are just doing it because they think you deserve someone better than me."

"No one is better than you though." I looked up at him.

"Then don't listen to them. You are perfect and whatever insult they throw at you is a lie. I love you just the way you are." He smiled.

"I love you too Ryu." I smiled back. "Thank you."

"Anything for you my love."

I smiled a little wider at the nickname before giving him a soft kiss on the lips. He was right and I was going to believe everything he just told me about them. Their opinions don't matter and if they are angry about it, so what.

It's not my fault that I managed to win over the heart of the best man in the world.

I guess they should have tried just a little harder.