Chapter 29 | Love

Start from the beginning

After putting on some mascara and highlighter, I stuff all of my makeup in my teal North Face book bag. I pretend to be that normal girl as I walk back into the coffee shop. The looks of astonishment I get are frightening. The same girls that once gave me judgmental looks are now shining their pearly white teeth in the light. Straightening their backs as I walk past them, they attempt to look presentable.

Feeling uncomfortable from all the stares, I adjust my white hoodie and pull up my black leggings before walking out of the shop. I put in my AirPods and press play on my phone. A slow classical song starts to play while I get into the rhythm of walking with the notes. Looking around, I notice that there are many people walking the snow-ridden streets of my quiet town.

The bakery across the road has freshly baked bread in its windows for display. My mouth salivates at the smell. I miss the days when I could eat warm bread. My stomach almost shuts down from the thought of another nutritional supplement drink. I continue walking, avoiding the slippery icy patches on the wet sidewalk.

Strolling through the town, I end up at my favorite spot; Monty's Diner. Besides Angel's Peak, this is where I would always hang out with my friends. So many memories have been made here, that it's crazy. Since I could remember, my family would always go to Monty's on Friday nights, and we would all buy ginormous milkshakes and large fries. It was by far the best dinner of the week.

For a small taste of nostalgia, I decide to walk into the red and silver themed restaurant, and order something small. I take my usual seat at a booth in the back corner and set all my stuff down beside me. Picking up the menu, I try to decide what to get.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the waiter nearing my table, so I quickly decide to get a small Hershey's milkshake and a side of onion rings. As the menu closes, a familiar face meets my gaze.

There, dressed in a scroungy waiter's dress and a dirty apron stands my best friend of sixteen years. Her brown hair messily put into a bun and her neck running with sweat; I hardly recognize Elise.

Her green eyes widen, and she takes a step back as if she's shocked to see me in such a public place. I gulp down the dry spot in my throat. Her voice almost startles me since I haven't heard it in so long.

"Brynne?" Her soft tone and shy demeanor exactly like how I remembered them. Her dainty fingers gripped on the menu, she peers into my soul while her nose twitches. It does that when she's nervous, I remind myself.

I clear my throat before I speak, "Hey, how have you been?"

Pain visibly takes over her body as she looks me up and down with disappointment. I breathe in and out before making the dumbest decision of the week;

"Can we go somewhere to talk?"

———————————————————————

I take her to the bakery I passed earlier and order us both a hot chocolate. After I asked her to talk, she immediately went to her manager and told him that she was going on break. Throwing off her apron, she swiftly changed her clothes in the bathroom, and soon enough, we were out of Monty's and making our way down the icy cold roads.

The entire walk, she stayed silent, messing with the cords of her tattered hoodie that says UCLA on it. Its dark purple color has been so worn that it almost looks lavender. It reminded me of the phase she had back in middle school when she would never take that thing off. Back when things were simple and girls didn't bully you for what you wore.

That's the thing about Elise; she doesn't care what other people think. She's unapologetically her all the time. She doesn't change herself to fit the norm and believes that being unique is special.