Chapter 41 - The Truth Is Revealed (part 2)

CW: blood, heavy topics, slight emetophobia warning, scary themes

A/N: Here is the long awaited chapter!!! It damn took me forever so I really hope you all enjoy.

Also, I still can't respond to your comments or post on my conversations 😑 but I'm still working on getting it fixed, but I do read all your comments I love them!! <3
————————————————————————————

Michael places his hand on the door handle and to his and your surprise, it opens right up.

William has always been very paranoid about locks. Every night, morning, and every time they left/came back from somewhere the very first thing he does is check all the locks. On every single door and window in the house. (The only doors that don't have locks are the kids bedroom doors, so that way they couldn't lock him out or keep anything hidden from him.). He had a specific routine every time. Front door first, then the kitchen windows, then the living room, his office door, the basement door, all the bathroom windows, then the windows in the dining room and hallways. Michael remembers his father speeding throughout the house doing this process two, mostly three times. It's not like him at all to leave something unlocked, especially the front door.

The door opens with a high pitched creaking sound, just like the ones in those horror movies. The house is unsurprisingly dark and cold. It always has been dark and cold, that was one of the first things you noticed when you came to the Afton house for the very first time. Now it's just darker and colder.

Michael steps in first, then flicks on the light switch next to the door. Dust particles float around everywhere as if the house hasn't been touched in a long time- which, it kind of hasn't.

You step in to the house next to Michael. "What now?" You ask. After taking in the sight his basically abandoned childhood home, he steps further into the house. "I'm not really sure, I guess... look around for things? Notes or clues maybe? I doubt they'll be any though. My father isn't one to leave that kind of stuff lying around. Worth a look while we're here I suppose"

His voice is just above a whisper, you can hear him just fine, but something, something in his voice just sounds far away. Distant.

You know why, of course.

Without saying anything else he slowly walks up to the stairs, and after a moment starts to head up. You don't follow him however, choosing to let him wonder at his pace and in a way, grieve, on his own.

As you take your time looking around each room downstairs, Michael stands motionless outside his brothers bedroom door. He notices the paint on the door is faded and chipped on the corners. His eyes fixate on the door handle. He wants to open it. To go in. He hasn't in years- not since just after the accident. But does he deserve to? Does he deserve to go inside his little brothers room after what he did? After his life was taken away from one of the dumbest plans he has ever thought of? Father didn't think so. Michael thinks still staring at the handle. Father would nearly kill him if he got within three feet of the door.

But father isn't here. He can't hurt him anymore- even if he was here. And most importantly,

"It wasn't your fault, Mikey"

That's right. You're right. It wasn't his fault. He remembers as the words you told him play in his mind, giving him enough confidence to reach out and lightly touch the handle with his finger tips.

But before he can fully grasp it and open it,

Click