Chapter 1 - The Meeting

November 23rd, 1975-

Today was the day you would talk to him. You first noticed him a few months back on the first day of pre-k playing alone, avoiding the other children. He always looked sad. He had a head of thick brown wavy hair and big bright blue eyes. You've kept your distance not wanting to make him mad or something, the other children did that as well, but you always watched and studied him from afar. Your little 5 year old self was very drawn to him. You weren't sure why but didn't question it too much. All you knew was that you wanted to go up to him, it just felt right.

So today was that day. You decided enough was enough and once play time came around, sure enough he went to the corner with a few dinosaurs and just... sat there. You walked up to him and crouched down next to him.

"What'cha playin'?"

He looked to you with wide eyes for a moment, then relaxed.

"... um.. dinosaurs..?"

He kind of sounded unsure of his answer since he wasn't really playing and was just staring into space like he usually does (he takes the dinosaurs to make it look like he's playing) but you were too focused on his voice to really care. It was soft and he had a little accent. You loved it. You sat down and smiled.

"So what's your name?"

Even the teacher didn't really pay much attention to him, so you never got a chance to learn his name.

"Um... it's Michael"

You giggled a little, not because anything was necessary funny, but because you just felt happy.

"I'm gonna call you Mikey" you said smiling

He tilted his head slightly "...why?"

"I dunno I just came up with it in my head and it's shorter than Michael"

Michael looked at you for a second.

"Okay" he said, liking the nickname

"It's cute too, kinda fits you"

You obviously didn't think much about what you said since you were 5, in your head that was just a fact. Michael was cute, Mikey was a cute name, simple as that.

He blushed a bit when you said that, not use to getting any attention from anyone, especially positive attention. It was different. It made him feel nice inside.

He stopped for a minute thinking to himself, "she's so pretty. She looks like an angel!"

He was very intrigued by you had had many, many questions about you like why were you talking to him? Why were you so nice to him? Why did he enjoy talking to you? Why does your presence feel calming? Why does he never want to not see or talk to you again? Why does he feel drawn to you? The questions go on and on.

You felt the same as Michael but only you didn't question it, you felt what you felt, simple.

"What about you? What's your name?" He suddenly asked.

"y/n"

He looked around for a few moments, attempting to come up a nickname for you as well. You just watched him look around wondering what he was thinking about. He darted his eyes back to you and said

"n/n" while smiling.

"Huh?"

"It's your nickname"

"Ohhh" you giggled out "I like it!"

The bell rung and you both stood and went to get your backpacks. Children were grabbing there bags and running out the door all of them talking, laughing, screaming, pushing, 5 of them trying fit through the door way at the same time and falling, the typical chaos at the end of the day.

You hurriedly got your bag, pushed the other kids out of the way to get out, and waited outside the door for Michael, figuring he'd wait for the chaos to settle down before leaving. You were right. 5 minutes later the last of the hyper children ran out and Michael walked out a couple seconds later, not expecting to see you standing in the hallway.

"I gotta go, my dads here to pick me up"

"Oka-"

You hugged him. You're not exactly sure why but you did. He made a soft "oof" sound, not expecting you to hug him, especially so tight and so suddenly. He hugged back after a second, confused since he isn't exactly use to physical contact, but he liked it. A lot. You broke away and started to run down the hallway.

"I'll see you tomorrow Mikey!" You turned your head back and waved, while still running.

This made him smile. This meant was going to see and talk to you again.

"See you tomorrow n/n!" He waved back.

You spotted your dads truck, and ran to in and jumped in. The whole car ride you excitedly explained how you finally talked to this boy Michael and how he was always alone and now you call him Mikey and now you're friends (you tell him every detail of the whole interaction).

"So, when am I going to meet this Mikey huh? He sounds nice" your dad asked smiling.

"I'll show you tomorrow after school!" You nearly fell out of your seat as you almost screamed that.

"Alright, sounds good kid"

—You and your dad have always been close, mom was out of the picture unfortunately. You never met her. All you know is that she wasn't a good person. You and your dad look alike and have similar personalities. You guys were like best friends so naturally, you told him everything.—

When Michael got home he wanted to tell his dad.

"Maybe he'll be proud of me for once" Michael thought to himself

He walked in the house and to his fathers office. The door was open and he stood in the doorway nervously.

"What is it Michael." He said, annoyed.

"I um ... I made a friend today"

William sighed, "Do not disturb me boy. Get out."

Michael left and went to his room right away. At least he didn't yell at him this time.

That night you both thought about each other. The both of you thought about the whole conversation (and hug), start to finish, buzzing with excitement to see the other the next day.

And for the very first time, Michael fell asleep with a smile on his face, finally looking forward to something for once.