Chapter 33- Betrayal

Start from the beginning

"It's Gina's," I said my head squished into his chest firmly. I knew he heard my silent muster, as I felt his back muscles become taut and his arms slightly limp around my waist. 

Colton grabbed me by the shoulders and held me at arm's length examining my face. I couldn't even look him in the eye. I felt so ashamed. Everything I touch I destroy. I didn't even spare my own friend. At this rate, I had to be cursed because there is no other explanation. 

"Who else knows?" was all he said, his gaze unwavering. 

"Other than Lola, no one" I muttered. 

"We have no choice but to lie" he stated so simply and emotionlessly that I didn't even recognise his voice. His hand gently cupped the side of my face as I stared into his eyes. His usual ocean blue was now dark black. They were so dark I could see my own reflection through them. 

His wolf was in control. 

"What do you mean?" I questioned removing his hand from my cheek and stepping away. I couldn't do that. 

Alpha Xavier is my friend, and he would be able to tell if I lie. Plus, if we lie what are we supposed to say? 

'Sorry Xavier we have no idea why you can smell your mate; you clearly need to be taken to the nuthouse?' 

"We will tell Xavier that she left the pack one day and never returned," he said so nonchalantly that I flinched at his words. He sounds so cold-hearted I can't even recognise him. If we said that to Xavier, he would always hold out hope. He would send his men out to look for her. 

He will never stop!

"No" I stated so firmly his face furrowed. 

"Oh really?" he replied tilting his head and stepping closer to me. 

"Yes," I shook my head. 

"I mean No" I shook my head again. 

"You know what I'm trying to say" I responded standing my ground and looking straight into his eyes. 

"Casey, this could destroy us" he turned away from me and placed both of his arms on his desk, his fingers gently curved around the edges and his face drooping down. I couldn't help but stare at his strong muscley arms, his blue veins were protruding and his long thin fingers curving around the edge of the desk made me think of all the things those fingers could do to me. 

Bloody hell Casey. I need Edna Mode to slap me and tell me to pull myself together because I am down bad. But I'm not going to lie, I need this man to destroy me. 

Snap. Out. Of. It

"This could cause a war and with Harold on our case, we can't take that risk." His words caught me off guard and although it was selfish it was true. 

"I promise you. We will tell him the truth" he turned to look me straight in the eye. 

"Eventually. Not right now" Although I wanted to argue with him about this, I knew deep down he was right. We have no choice. If we told him the truth it would cause nothing, but death and destruction and we couldn't afford that right now. 

I was being selfish for the sake of the pack and for the sanity of my mate. 

It was a necessary evil. 

"Ok," I said. My heart ached to know that I couldn't tell Xavier the truth but at this point, I had no choice but to protect my own family, no matter how much it hurt. 

Xavier would never forgive me for this, and I could never be the one to tell him this lie. I felt horrible and corrupted. How did I end up becoming the villain in someone else's life?