And sometimes we want to keep the memories at least if we can't keep the people.

"Are you alright?" The blonde touched my shoulder gently and I gave her a grin, pocketing my phone.

"Never been better." But my words lacked and she could tell.

It wasn't as much because of Ana's messages but that I still couldn't get the thought of Rebecca's letters to Lila out of my head.

Besides, suspicious things kept happening in Ladenhill.

Just two weeks back, a detective and an inspector at the local police department had been taken in by the FBI. Although not much was disclosed like it had been during Mr Serdano's arrest, it didn't take a genius to figure out that the unrest in the town wasn't going to end. It was only going to amp up now and the reason had something to do with Kitkat's best friend and her suspicious 'death'.

Like a domino effect, one thing led to another and I couldn't wait to see where the end was.

I hadn't confronted either girls and it didn't seem like they had any secrets or animosity amongst themselves.

Yet, I knew that there was a connection.

The easy comfort I felt in Rebecca's presence had only decreased a little bit. It was a testament to her temperament and personality that I still couldn't ignore her.

In fact, I was convinced that these actions weren't of her own will. Her parents might be involved.

Like Michael's Dad was.

I didn't let myself ponder over the fact that I honestly didn't want this to be Rebecca's doings. I wanted her to not be involved in anything shady but the chances were slim.

"Come on, we gotta have fun. Let's just go to the Arcade!" The chestnut haired guy slung his arm over my neck and I chuckled, feeling better already.

"Let's go then."

•♤•

2 hours later, we were all grinning from ear to ear as we reached my house.

We'd had tons of fun and dare I say, it was one of the best birthdays I'd had.

Not if only Kitkat had also been there....

No, Derek. Don't think about her.

I shook my head and appreciated the blending oranges in the sky. A light pink dusting of clouds floated above us and I smiled.

"Thanks, guys. It was fun."

Nora smiled, "You missed Lila though, right?"

I gave her an incredulous look as I fiddled with the key, opening the door to my house.

I glanced at Warren and Rebecca from the corner of my eyes, sensing the shift in mood and cursed internally.

But before I could respond to Nora's out of the blue declaration, my sister's scream turned me deaf.

"Happy birthday, kiddo!"