Obedience Isn't That Hard

Start from the beginning

"It killed the cat. I know," I interrupt him. "Sam tells me this all the time."

"He does care about you a lot then. You should listen to him."

Sam did tell me that he cares about me, but hearing it from Raphael only seems to reaffirm that and I feel my face heat up at the though. The Devil himself has the ability to care for someone.

Perhaps there's still hope for humanity then.

I am about to ask Raphael another question but I suddenly feel the warmth depart from me, telling me he has withdrawn his wings.

He leaps on his feet and takes a crouching position. He looks like he is in flight of fight mode and I look around, searching for the danger.

"Raph," I call out, but he raises his index finger to his lips.

"Don't look back. Don't make a sound. And make so sudden movements, but there is a pack of hyenas just behind you."

"WHAT!" I scream and turn around to make sure he isn't trying to pull a mean prank on me.

Then again, Raphael doesn't seem like the one that would play pranks on people. That position has already been occupied by Sam.

Just behind me, I find the growling and hungry looking dogs looking at me with murderous intent in their eyes and immediately, they charge at me, causing me to scream in fright.

Just when I am sure I am about to experience a very painful death; I feel myself being pulled away at an insane speed that causes a whoosh in my ears and my eyes to burn up and water.

Looking around, I find that I am on the branch of a tree and Raphael is floating beside me, his legs tucked beneath him as he stares at me as though the incident was my fault. Taking a risk, I peer down and find that we are nowhere close to the lake.

With a palm atop my chest, I try to moderate my breathing and calm the stomping of my heart.

"I told you not to move!" Raphael criticizes me and I pass him an incredulous stare.

"You told me there were hyenas behind me! What did you expect me to do?"

"To comply to my words." He shrugs and does a flip in the air as though I didn't just merely escape death. "Obedience isn't that hard, you know?"

"That's easy for you to say! You're an Angel." I frown at him, angered that he isn't even showing the least sympathy for my situation.

It's one of the things I have come to dislike about Angels. True, I know it isn't their fault as they don't feel emotions the same way humans do, but a little empathy here and there would be appreciated.

"And thanks to me, you are alive. It was fun though. That was Ajax. The most ruthless pack I've ever seen. Then again, they're the most thriving pack in this habitat. Nature is so beautiful."

I let out an exasperated sigh, not seeing the point in pushing the discussion any further than it has to go.

"What just happened?"

The new voice catches me by surprise and I yelp, momentarily forgetting my grip on the tree and I quickly fall to my death with a scream.

Before I can hit the floor and make Raphael suffer again to bring me back to the land of the living, I feel arms around me and I peek up as gasp when my eyes meet with the sharpest silver I have ever seen in my life.

The man stares at me, his face stern and his deep-set silver eyes bore into mine. He has the sharpest jaw-line I have ever seen in my life. All his features are so defined, so stern. He looks like the type of person that doesn't take no for an answer.