31. Home

Jacob

Finally I sighed with relief as I parked my car in front of Kayla's parents house. That journey was exhausting, the only good thing about it was the girl in the passenger seat. After our third or maybe fourth drinks we were buzzing with raw energy. Kayla was on chocolate and sugar high and I was floating on caffeine.

After one hour in our journey, Kayla got bored with the silence and started playing with the radio. The second she found her favorite station, she wouldn't stop jamming along with it. It was irritating, but she seemed happy so I didn't interrupt her, in fact I might have hummed along for a few songs myself.

After yesterday we were not fighting but we were still not comfortable around each other as before. There was an invisible wall of my lies separating us. Other than some stolen awkward glances we were ignoring each other. I know Kayla won't trust me further until I don't tell her everything. 

After our little concert session, Kayla got tired and fell asleep for half an hour which was peaceful but I also missed her, if that's possible. After waking up she basically demanded that I feed her with as much sugar as possible. After that it was impossible for her to stay put. But overall the drive was only tolerable because of her antics, otherwise I would have fallen asleep a long time ago by her side.

As soon as we stepped into the house, Mr and Mrs Anderson greeted us with big warm smiles. I have talked to them multiple times but never met them in person. After my last conversation with David, I doubt he likes me anymore. Truth to be told, I don't want to be disrespectful but that man is not on my list of favorite people as well. Because of his stupid and overprotective reasons, Kayla and I are having trust issues.

"Mom, Dad I am finally home." Kayla shrieks and folds them in a warm hug, leaving me with the bags on the threshold. All three of them enjoy their teary reunion with all the jumbled questions and answers. While I try to make myself as small as possible.

This was the first time meeting my employers who were not so happy with my work and also they were the parents of the girl I was crazy about. This was getting awkward. It's like I don't even exist. Even Kayla forgot to introduce me. I understand that I have talked to her parents before but she doesn't know that. How I wish to take my Rosa back and not share her with anyone. 

I can't believe I am jealous of her parents. Seriously this girl is going to be the death of me. 

"Jacob, what are you doing over there?" Kayla calls me. Damn, that smile on her face melts all the tiredness from my body. Absent-mindedly I walked towards her and took her outstretched hand in mine and squeezed it a little.

I saw that her dad got a frown on his face, noticing the small gesture, so discreetly I took a step away from Kayla, leaving her hand. Mentally I slapped myself for forgetting where we were standing. Kayla was way too excited to watch her actions but I need to be careful if I don't want to die. There was even a rifle on the wall.

"Mom, Dad I am pretty sure you already know Jacob so let's not pretend to be formal." Kayla says with heavy sarcasm. David rolls his eyes at her daughter's teasing manner, while her mom Jenny was struggling to hold her muffled laughter. 

I was just awestruck at her light manner of handling this situation, where she clearly knows that we all are hiding something from her and talk behind her back. Also I might be reading too much into this but I am sure, there is an underlining of hurt and betrayal in her joke. After no one contradicted her statement, her smile faltered a little.

Her parents must have also noticed the change in her behavior. Jenny eyed David with sad eyes but didn't say anything. 

"Of Course we know him. Jacob is my friend's son. I have known him forever. He is a good man. I would never let you live with him if I didn't know him beforehand. I trust him with you." David said to her but his last sentence was directed at me. It felt like he had no more hard feelings about our last conversation on the phone. He still trusted me with his daughter.