Goodbyes

<Jessica POV>

After everyone piled themselves into the sleek, black limousine, we set off on the 45 minute drive to the airport where I would say my final goodbyes for four straight years. I blitzed through security and was at the gate with 10 minutes spare - not enough time to say proper goodbyes to everyone. However I knew it must be done and so I turned to dad and Anna, not ready to say goodbye just yet.

"I-" was the only thing I managed to get out before we both burst into tears and was swept into a rip-breaking embrace, "I love you both, so much! Dad, thank you for being there for me even when I didn't think I needed you." He nodded as if afraid to speak in case it made all this real, "Anna, thank you for being the mum I never had but always needed, you are the best person anyone could ask for and I am so happy you walked into my life even if I was rather rude to you at first." Anna nodded through her tears as she looked at me and stroked my cheek with her thumb.

I turned to the boys, "I love all you douche bags even with all your disgusting habits. Thank you for being there for me through thick and thin - no matter what - I will never be able to thank you enough." As a personal, running joke between us all - I did the district 12 salute from The Hunger Games to them - they laughed through the 'non-existent' tears in their eyes and did it back to me.

I looked towards my friends - the ones who stuck by me no matter what and who I practically grew up with - and smiled through the waterfall of tears. "Thank you, all of you, for sticking by me when things got hard and knowing exactly what to say or do to cheer me up no matter the situation." By the time I finished we (even Emily, Yasmin, Lily and Mia here by video call) were all blubbering as I held out my arms for our signature 'Solar System' Group Hug. Everyone crashed into my arms and we were just stood there hugging for like a straight 2 minutes before I broke out the hug and turned around only to leap into the waiting arms of my boyfriend.

"I-" I tried to speak but it was like a ball was stuck in my throat, luckily Caleb understood what I wanted to say as I kissed him deeply, hopefully conveying all the love, trust and pain I felt at this moment. Love because I love him to the ends of the Earth and back so many times it's dizzying, Trust because I trust him to do right by me and himself as we try to make long distance work and Pain because no matter how much I want this - my independence, my freedom - leaving him is and always will be the hardest part.

"Just - don't look back - ok? It's cliché and I don't think I'll be able to let you go if you turn around and wave for one last time." He murmured against my lips and I nodded, "I'm going to miss you Candy Floss." Candy Floss, a nickname he gave me after our third or fourth date to a circus and I could not get enough of the sugary treat.

"I'll miss you too." I whispered and kissed him softly just as the lady over the intercom called out my gate number and saying it was ready to be boarded. I broke away from Caleb's tight hold as I took my carry on from Draven (my suitcases already being aboard the plane) and gazed around at the assembly in front of me.

"I'll miss all of you guys!" I said before the last call was called and I had to go before I missed my flight - I walked over to the escalators and headed up to my flight. When I reached the top, I hesitated for a moment before remembering what Caleb said and shouldered my bag a bit higher and walking off.

Not to return for another 4 years...