35. I'M NOT GIVING UP ON LUCAS AND I.

Start from the beginning

"Are you sure everything is fine?" He asks and I nod even though he can't see me.

"Yes. Call me when you get home." Hanging up, I place the phone on the nightstand feeling Tommy's scorching glare behind my back which I totally ignore.

"So he even brought you back home and is still out there." He laughs dryly, shaking his head. "The guts Mia, what if mum and dad find out about this. Have you thought about that?"

"They won't find out unless you tell them." I slip my sneakers off, putting on the fluffy slippers.

"Okay, well I guess they're about to find out." Tommy opens the door to walk out but I grab his arm pulling him back inside the room, locking the door before he can leave. "Since when did you start lying to mum and dad huh?" He asks with a frown, pushing my hand away in irritation. "What do you think this is that you and Lucas have going on? It's not heading anywhere and it has no future, Mia. Your whole family is already against this guy. The sooner you accept that, the better for you. You and Lucas have no future together. The two of you don't belong together and that's the truth." With that, he walks to the door and turns to face me again. "Mum and dad want the best for you and are only looking out for you. We all want the best for you and Lucas isn't the right man for you. He's also not a good influence on you. You're already aware of the kind of chaotic life he lives."

I remain silent just looking at him, everything he has said hitting me right in the heart. 'Thank you for covering up for me out there, having my back and not telling mum and dad the truth about where I was."

Tommy doesn't say a word but only comes back hugging me tightly before leaving my room. In exhaustion, I enter the bathroom taking a bath and staying in the tub longer to clear my mind. I can't stay away from Lucas because if I do, it's going to hurt us both. At the same time being with him is going to hurt my family.

If I have to choose between Lucas and my family, it's going to destroy my heart.

My heart is being pulled in two opposite directions, torn between my feelings for Lucas and the responsibility I have towards my family. The thought of choosing between them is filling my heart with dread and sorrow.

What am I going to do?

Not wanting to overthink, I finish my bath, slipping on the pyjamas and joining my family downstairs. Entering the living room I find dad sitting on the couch with King next to him leaning on his shoulder, a bowl of caramel popcorns on his lap as they watch a movie.

Sitting on the left side of dad I lean on his shoulder too, scooping some popcorns from the bowl. "What did you do?" He asks making me laugh. "You must have done something for you to come lean on me like this. Or you want something."

"Nothing. What are we watching?"

"Ice age. King put it so now we have to watch it."

Hearing a distant voice, mum soon enters the room also in her red silk pyjamas, walking past us to the kitchen and coming back with another bowl of popcorns. She sits on the couch next to the one we're on, glancing at dad, King and I, a warm smile spreading on her lips.

Tommy comes in minutes later glancing at dad, King and I and then at mum. Then he sits down next to her, leaning on her shoulder as well. "I thought this is what we're doing." He shrugs and we all laugh as mum pushes his head away playfully. "Mum you look nice." He starts playing with her hair and she pushes his hand away as dad, King and I laugh hilariously at them. Tommy is always getting on mum's last nerve.

"Why're you behaving like this?" She asks, moving away only for him to follow her.

"Dad your girlfriend looks nice." Tommy mentions to dad referring to mum and I cover my mouth trying not to laugh at them.