35. I'M NOT GIVING UP ON LUCAS AND I.

Start from the beginning

Reaching the hallways, I lean against the wall closing my eyes, trying to imagine Lucas still hugging me so I can calm down. I can still feel his warm breath lingering on my neck as I run my fingers slowly on the spot.

Opening my eyes, I find Tommy right infront of me, making me jump as he looks at me closely, crossing his arms against his chest. "What's wrong with you, why're you acting so weird. Mum and dad are furious." He adds before I can get a word out. "You've been gone for two whole days and nobody knew where you were. Where did you go?"

"I'm not weird, you're weird." I answer avoiding his question while straightening his Gucci bucket hat for him instead before pushing him away playfully.

I sigh in relief once again for not having come across our parents who would have also asked me where I was these past two days. Then I see mum standing at the other end of the hallway, her scrutinizing gaze fixed on me and Tommy. It feels like it can pierce through my very soul, reading my every thought and secret. "Come here, young lady." She beckons me sternly and I tense, she rarely talks in this tone.

Leaving Tommy with my backpack, I stand next to mum giving her a warm smile, hoping it softens her but it doesn't work this time like it usually does. "Who is the prettiest mum in the planet, you are." I coo at her, still smiling but she doesn't smile back. I guess I'm in a deeper trouble than I initially thought.

"Mia, you're a grown up and we all know that but you still have to be available on your phone all the times. I called you a number of times to tell you to hurry home but you weren't picking up and I got so worried. Where the hell have you been for the past two days?" She asks and dad clears his throat behind us because of her swearing as he joins us.

Great, both parents scolding me. Just what I need.

"Answer your mother's question, where have you been for the past two days?" Dad asks and my throat goes dry because of the tone of his voice, tension coiling in my chest like a serpent ready to strike. His voice, usually warm and comforting, now carries a cold edge. The disappointment etched on his face is like a slap on the face, and I can almost feel the walls closing in on me. If I tell him where I was, I don't even want to imagine the kind of trouble I'll be in.

Looking between mum and dad, I try coming up with what to say, possibly a believable lie to get myself out of trouble and shield me from the storm threatening to break loose. Fear is now rising in my throat, my palms clamming with sweat as I struggle to maintain my composure. Should I spin a tale of a friend in need, an unexpected emergency that demanded my presence? Or perhaps feign ignorance, claiming I lost track of time in a place where my phone signal was weak? The lies dance on the tip of my tongue, tempting me an easy escape route.

"Mia has been at Aria's apartment for the past two days. She informed me about it but I forgot to tell you. I didn't know it would be such a big deal, sorry for not informing you guys." Tommy hastily says to mum and dad, coming to my rescue before I can come up with an answer myself. He moves closer wrapping his arm around my shoulders, trying to look convincing.

Mum and dad's expressions soften making me wonder how quick they believe Tommy's lie. "I'm watching you two." Dad points at my brother and I before walking away with mum.

Pushing Tommy away from me, I open the door to my bedroom stepping inside with him closely behind. He closes the door and throws my backpack on the couch, facing me with his eyes blazing in anger. "You were with that Lucas guy weren't you. For two fucking days, you were away from home just to be with him when dad already warned you to stay far away from him."

Not paying attention to him, I call Lucas remembering he's still outside the gate and he picks on the second ring. "Everything is fine, you can go back home now. You don't have to stay out there any longer."