i | 30 | the f a r e w e l l

THE FAREWELL
───── ⋆⋅🌹⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅Chayanne⋅⋆ ─────

|| Saturday

The dooming day of Asia funeral cudn end quickly enough.

The sky is bright, the Sun's burning. It seems almost like a mockery of the gloomy attitudes of everyone that's here - dressed in black or other dark colors, tightly clutching dampened napkins in balled fists.

Today is a very sad day.

Yet nothing feels as sad as standing above the hole that Asia will be buried in.

In the church, I wasn't brave enough to look at her lifeless body. By the burial site, it seems as if I don't have a choice. . . her casket is opened, I can see her powdered face. Her eyes are closed, mouth in a resting smile. She looks. . . peaceful, almost as if she's simply sleeping and will wake up at anytime.

One of the pallbearers - her uncle from Cascade, Hanover - closes the lilac colored casket, marking the last time people will ever see Asia's youthful face.

'Lilac was her favorite color,' Mark told me earlier in the church. 'She would have loved it.'

I would hope so.

The casket begins its slow descent and the small church choir harmoniously sings, "Goodbye, World! I'll stay no longer with you-"

A shrill cry comes from somewhere. I look over to where the noise is coming from and see a wailing Miss Cherry.

"Waii! No, mi baby!" she cries. "Bury mi wid ar, bury me-" she collapses onto one of the strong men that are barring her from jumping into the hole and she hollers incoherent pleas to the Almighty.

Seeing Miss Cherry like this reminds me of my grandmother when my mother died. Unable to bear it, I tear my eyes away from the scene and almost choke on a sob. Her loud cries are assaulting my ears and my heart sears in pain, sharing her grief and agony.

A hand gently rests on my shoulder. I look over - Chezzy. I forgot she's here. She came to provide some form of strength and support for the friends and family of the girl who she didn't even know.

"-I've made up my mind to go God's way the rest of my life," the choir continues to sing.

Their melodic voices are being overshadowed by Miss Cherry's hoarse voice bawling, "God, why?! Why?!"

Chezzy wipes beneath my eyes with a napkin.

I didn't realize I'm crying.

───── ⋆⋅🌹⋅⋆ ─────

After the funeral finish, me and Chezzy mek way out of Steer Town Cemetery. Mi probably shuda go visit mi madda, but after the way how mi just see Miss Cherry behave. . . mi pretty sure mi wuda probably behave the same if me so much as see piece a Mommy headstone.

"Yu sure yu nuh waa come over fi get something fi eat?" mi ask Chezzy now.

"No, thanks," she declines. "Mi just a go boom ride wid one a dem vehicle ya weh a pass mi yaad."

"Arite," I stop walking and hug her. "Thanks fi come, Chezzy."

She hug me back, tighter. "Anything fi you," she pulls away and gives me a pitiful smile. "How's your brother?"

I sigh. "I don't know. He's still in jail."

Chezzy sigh and give me shoulder a comforting squeeze. "Mi hope him come out soon."