Chapter 27

Should I go run and hide now? If Dominic sounds this angry over someone being here then it couldn't be good then could it? Though he didn't fire his gun, so it's obviously not someone he feels threatened by.

Also why does Dominic have a gun... nope stupid question, he's Mafia of course he has a gun. How many guns does he have though? And why was that one hidden under the coffee table? How many guns are hidden around the apartment, I wonder. Does he get intruders often, intruders he need to shoot to kill?

My chest is pounding in my ears as I stay frozen in place, waiting to hear an answer come from whoever has just shown up and angered Dominic.

"I thought you'd be glad I was here?" The familiar voice comes. Max. Max is here? But how? "I got bored being locked up in that hospital, Brody broke me loose since you and Ellie weren't answering your phones."

I gulp. Max tried calling me?

"You shouldn't be here. You were shot and until earlier today you were in a fucking coma." Dominic rages.

"Pft." Max seems to blow off. "I discharged myself. A nurse will be here in the morning to see me twice a day for a week. I was warned no stairs so I suppose I'm crashing down here." He chuckles.

"You should have waited for me to come get you. I was busy." Dominic bites out harshly.

"I can see that." Their voices seem closer now, they must be in the living room now. "In the living room? Really Dom? While Ellie is upstairs!" Max sounds mad now. "What if she'd come down here and seen you with whoever this chick is?" There's my protective brother.

"She's not some chick!"

Max laughs lightly. "I know, I know. You're crushing over her. But seriously dude, fucking someone in the living room while Ellie is upstairs and could have come down at any time, not cool!"

"Chill, it's fine." Dominic sounds calmer now, slightly amused even. My guess is his amusement is due to him fooling around with me in the living room, not someone else while I was upstairs.

"Chill?" Max deadpans. "Dom, this isn't a joke. She's my baby sister, she's too innocent to be seeing shit like that!"

I blanch. Max really isn't going to like it when he finds out I'm the one Dominic has been seeing.

"Can't you just see your bitch somewhere else..."

"Watch it Maxwell!" Dominic orders in a threatening manner.

"Yeah yeah, I know your house your rules. But seriously dude can't you see her at her place if she's so into being an exhibitionist." Max says in as equal a serious tone.

An exhibitionist? That's what Max thinks of this. He thinks we wanted to get caught. I feel nauseated at the idea of him catching us.

"Do not call her a bitch." Dominic says through gritted teeth. "If you were not currently healing from being shot, no if it wouldn't kill you with the state you're in I would fucking beat your ass black and blue for talking about her like that. So you better fucking watch yourself Maxwell."

Hearing Dominic stand up for me both scares me and makes me feel warm and happy inside knowing he's doing that for my benefit. Hearing him threaten Max is what scares me. I can hear the rage in his voice as he threatened Max and part of me is afraid he'll turn that on me one day if I do something to upset him. But he stood up for me. He protected my honor.

I turn around and walk to my room, as quietly as I could, not wanting to hear anymore of their conversation if they were going to threaten each other.

In my room I tossed my clothes into my hamper before giving myself a quick clean up to make it less obvious I was freshly fucked. I folded Dominic's shirt up neatly and tucked it under my pillow, not wanting to give it back to him because of how much it smelt like him and I knew that with Max being back now that I would see less of Dominic as I had before. I pulled on fresh panties and a pair of cotton pyjama pants and a oversized hoodie.

I walked over to my desk where I'd left my phone to see two missed calls and four texts from Max. I clicked open the texts first.

Ellie, answer your phone.

Earth to Ellie.

Ellie?

I'll get you icecream?

I sigh, guilt filling me as I open up my voice mails from him.

"Hey Ellie, pick up. I want to come home. This place sucks and the doctor is a tosser and won't let me eat any good food while I'm here."

"Ok, Ellie. I'm on my way home, Brody from work is giving me a ride. I suppose you're probably busy doing prep for tomorrow. I'm proud of you Ells. See you in a bit."

He wouldn't be proud of me if he knew the truth. He'd be mortified. Oh God what am I doing? I keep talking myself out of this thing with Dominic only for him to be all perfect to me and pull me back in. But seriously, he's my brother's best friend. Max would flip his lid if he knew.

I force myself to go downstairs, finding the rest of Dominic's clothes missing from the living room. I hear chatter coming from the games room.

"Max?" I ask softly as I push the door open and enter the room.

I see Max and Dominic splayed out on separate sofas as they stare at a giant theatre screen, flicking through a bunch of games. Dominic is now wearing his trousers again but remains shirtless. Both their heads snap up to me, from the corner of my eye and apologetic look covers Dominic's features.

Max smiles widely at me. "Hey!"

"I just checked my phone. I'm sorry I didn't answer, I suppose I got a little distracted." It wasn't really a lie.

He nods and chuckles. "I figured you'd fallen into your void. It's ok, I got here eventually." He turns his head and his eyes narrow on Dominic. "And just in time too apparently." He says somewhat harshly.

I gulp. "What can I get you Max?"

Max turns his attention back to me with a wide grin. "Good food and a change of clothes? Brody lent me his clothes but they're so uncomfortable." Max's phone starts ringing on the couch next to him, he glances down at it before declining the call and turning it over so the screen is pressed into the sofa.

"Sweats and leftover pizza?" Max nods with a toothy grin. "Tea?" I offer him, receiving the same reaction. I nod once before excusing myself from the room. Once the door shuts I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

"I have to piss." Dominic says to Max from the other side of the door.

Max laughs lightly. "Is that code for get your bit... girl out of the apartment while I'm not looking?"

I quickly dart off up the stairs, not wanting to get caught lingering when Dominic comes out. I rush into Max's room and gasp at the sight before me. It's a sty in here, clothes are tossed all about the place, nudey magazines are open on his bed making me want to burn my eyes out.