Lindsey circled around outside, watching Stevie as she mingled through the crowd of other mothers and kids. He felt completely out of place and awkward, but there was no way he was leaving without talking to her more, he simply couldn't. Her eyes met his across the yard and a wide grin broke out on her face, instantly heading in his direction.

"Sorry," she apologized, "Got distracted with all this."

"Don't apologize, you're busy. I should've left, I just..."

"I know," she smiled.

"This is insane?"

"Completely."

"I mean, what are the odds?" He asked again, still in shock.

"Destiny, I guess," she gave him a mischievous smile, "How are you, Lindsey? God, it's been years since we've spoken."

"You look incredible," he blurted out, taking in her appearance once again.

"Thank you," she smiled shyly, "You look pretty good yourself. Old, but good," she teased, causing him to laugh.

"I can't believe your daughter is 8 already."

"And yours is just behind her, right? And Will is, what, 10? I can't believe that."

"I guess this is karma for all those times we swore we would get the kids together when they were younger but never did."

She laughed, "That's very true. They beat us to it."

"You—" he got cut off by a strange man walking up and wrapping his arms around Stevie from behind. Lindsey watched in shock as the man placed a kiss on her ear, "Sorry I'm late, the wait for the cake was insane."

"Oh, hey!" She stuttered, completely flustered now. "Dave, this is Lindsey...Lindsey, this is my boyfriend, Dave."

Lindsey felt his entire heart drop, he was sure his skin probably went pale as a ghost. He didn't even stop to possibly think that Stevie had a man in her life, naively thinking she would still be single somehow. Not that it mattered anyway, of course.

"Oh wow, the famous Lindsey. Huge fan of your stuff, man, nice to finally meet you. I didn't know you two were still in touch?" Dave asked looking to Stevie now.

"Well, it's a funny story," she laughed, "As it turns out, Lindsey's son is the boy from Lily's music class that she wanted to invite."

"Wow," Dave marveled, his arms wrapped fully around Stevie now,  "What a small world, that's crazy! And you two didn't know?"

"No idea," Lindsey shook his head, his eyes piercing into Stevie's.

"Well," she cleared her throat nervously, "I guess this means it's time for cake," she announced, breaking her gaze with Lindsey and freeing herself from Dave's arms.

There was no reason for Lindsey to still be at the party, he should've went home by now, but the magnetic force of his Stevie was outweighing all reason, practically holding him there hostage. He couldn't take his eyes off her as she sauntered through the yard filled with laughter. As always, she was the perfect host, and everyone was naturally drawn to her. Himself included.

"I thought you were heading out," Lori's voice interrupted his thoughts from behind.

"Oh...yeah, I am..." he answered, his eyes still glued to Stevie.

She laughed shaking her head, "Some things never change, huh?"

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing, nothing at all. How's your wife?"

"Fine," he answered diplomatically, "She's out with our daughters today."

"That's nice," Lori nodded, concerned when he didn't answer, instead staring at Stevie. "Look, Lindsey, Stevie's in a good relationship now. Like, really good for her. Don't get any ideas."

He turned to raise his brows at her in confusion, "Lori, I don't know what you're talking about."

"Mhmmm, no, of course not, Buckingham," she sighed as she walked off.

He didn't mean to be the last parent left at the party. Honestly, he tried to leave a million times, but he couldn't bring himself to go. He wanted to say so many things, he had so many questions, and yet he couldn't get any of them out. Not here. Not now. Will and Lily still played in the backyard, running around like crazy. With a sigh, he made his way over to them to gather his son, he knew he had to leave.

"Come on Will, it's time to go, let's gather your things."

"Ughhhhh," his son groaned.

Stevie approached them with a smile, bringing the boys their party favors and fixing the headband on her daughter as they played. Lindsey watched her intently, the sight of her boyfriend lingering in the background not escaping his vision.

"Mom, can Will and Joey come over for a playdate soon?" Lily asked.

Stevie looked up at Lindsey with wide eyes and a surprised expression, he bit his lower lip trying to hold back excitement.

"Well, we'll see honey, okay?" Stevie answered.

"How do you know Will's dad?" Lily asked curiously, looking at Lindsey now.

"Uhhh, well, honey, it's a funny story actually. You remember the band Fleetwood Mac I used to be in? Well, Will's daddy was in that band with me too," she explained meeting eyes with Lindsey.

"Really dad?" Will asked, his ears shooting into the conversation. "You were in Fleetwood Mac too?" He asked Stevie now.

She nodded with a smile, "Guilty as charged."

"Cool!"

"Mom, can they come over after piano lessons next week?" Lily asked.

Stevie looked to Lindsey with uncertainty, "As long as that's okay with Will's daddy."

Lindsey smiled at her, "Of course it is."