Chapter 3 Rookie

In my dreams I could see that man's blood on my hands, it was a nightmare. I talked about it to Skittles. He seemed to finally notice how much it bothered me, and he joined me on my bed. Sitting at the edge with his hands resting on his knees. He looked at me with saddened eyes, he took a second to recollect his words.

Taking one big deep breath.

"Wanna talk about it?"

He simply asked with a hint of worry, my sudden attention towards my helmet was put down. My eyes slowly drifted towards my nightstand, as I carefully settled it down.

"Hey um, Rookie what has been eating at you lately hm?" He asked again, I sighed, rubbing my eyes a bit before speaking and making eye contact with Skittles.

"Aw come on... Don't act like you don't know- oh shit. I- I'm sorry, I sounded like an asshole for a second..." I turned away from him, crossing my legs on my bed and fixing my posture.

I let out another relaxed sigh, and a small brief of silence filled the room. After a while, Skittles couldn't seem to bear the dead silence.

He got off the edge of my bed and moved sitting crossed-legged.

He sat across from me, the two of us were close but not too close to one another, it was oddly comforting having him around. I barely knew him as a person, his family, his morels, or his goals in life but he was the closest thing to comfort in this hellhole they call a military base.

He then started to whisper.

"It's okay I understand why you're angry, that Captain guy. Man, he sure has a way with words alright... Not in a good way that's for sure but. As I was saying, I'm sorry you feel that way, but listen... You have to get it through your thick head that you and I couldn't do anything about it. He knew the rules, the consequences of his actions."

He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck for a moment. I slowly placed my hands into his, not letting go and the both of us didn't say a word. He then gave my hands a soft and gentle squeeze, as if he was telling me something without speaking words.

"Of course, I know that, don't be silly. I wish it didn't happen. Well, we can only hope for things to get better I guess. We're sticking together, right? Until the end."

"Of course." He smiled, I let out a soft chuckle forming a small smile on my lips. I gently squeezed his hands back and he giggled, his cheeks turning a light pink.

"Anyway, not to ruin the mood but, shouldn't we be headed to bed now it's getting a little late isn't it?"

I nodded, "yeah I know just hold on a moment I need to take a shower in the bathhouse. Ugh, I feel so sweaty from all that stupid training..."

I sighed letting my hands go from his as I slowly slipped off my bed and headed towards the exit.

"You sure you don't want to shower in the morning? Plus do you even remember where the bathhouse is?" He smirked, and I turned around to face him.

"Well, yeah! Of course, I know where to go, I would rather take a shower now than later in the morning with everyone else." I grumbled, I watched as he rolled his eyes in annoyance. Skittles flopped down on my bed landing on his back facing forward, resting his arm covering his eyes.

"Alright I will be here waiting for you to get back."

I smiled, closing the door and finally exited the room. A hard sigh broke past my lips, I was happy to have some peace, after a long day of being surrounded by people. All I wanted is to clear my head from the days of events, that poor man still haunts me. Making the hairs on my body stand just thinking about it, the blood, the last few tears that came out of his eyes as he died.