Chapter 2 An Eye For An Eye

I could feel my soul leave my body as we both turned around to see who it was.

Tim

God damn it.

I kept my mouth shut, but Skittles, on the other hand, spoke up in which. I begged him not to in my eyes as he watched me pathetically get flustered over it. He sure enjoys that.

"No running down the halls, didn't any of you two listen-"

"Yeah, I don't care... Come on, let's go." Skittles said without making eye contact with Tim; rather, his eyes were on me, pulling harshly onto my left arm and taking me down the right hallway; the both of us had no idea where to go.

"What the hell are you doing..."
I whispered.
"Saving your ass, including mine, we don't have time for a goddamn lecture."

"Huh?" I questioned, but he hushed me softly as we both continued to walk down the long hallway until Skittles realized that we were both finally alone together.

"Look. Listen, kiddo..." His voice got low, and we both started to whisper and yell back and forth with each other suddenly.

"I'm 32."

"Whatever- listen. Rookie, if we want to get out of here alive, we've got to test the waters. Break the rules... We can't let those bastards control us, no. We can't- not 'maybe' not 'yes' no."

"I don't know, Skittles; it seems rather risky...? Don't you think."

He smirked and leaned closer to my face, slightly pinning me against the hallway wall. It was dark, but some small fragment of orange glow illuminated our faces. I couldn't fully see his expression, but I understood from the sound of his voice.

"Come on; life's too short, Rookie. You are either with me or not. So say it."

"I'm with you," I mumbled out, only for him to hear my voice clear as day.

"Good." He chuckled softly as he pulled away, letting him lead the way as I followed Skittles like a clueless kitten. I didn't want to seem weak, but it looked like I had already given that impression to him. I need to work on that later in the future.

I sighed, looking back and seeing nobody around near us; I felt paranoid after that. I wrapped my arms around my lower body, teeth clenching inside my mouth, biting my dry lips. Skittles noticed my odd behaviour and reassured me everything was okay, but I beg to differ.

None of this is acceptable or okay; what kind of world is he living in right now. Sunshine and rainbows while running in a meadow of flowers?

That's when we got stopped by another soldier.

Goddamn, not now, please be nice.

"Hey! Where exactly do you two think you're headed..." 

This time I spoke up. "Sorry, Commander, we got lost... And we're new, so-"

His expression relaxed, which seemed like a good sign. "Ah, I see. Please follow me; the others will be waiting for you by the shower right now. No worries." He smiled and waved us over to the right hallway.

Skittles turned to face me; he grinned and gently punched my arm, whispering to me.

As if he was congratulating me? Congratulating me for what? Being friendly and reasonable. I scoffed and rolled my eyes in annoyance, walking faster up front catching up with the fellow soldier. I don't know what drove me to have the confidence or guts to talk to the man, but I did.

"Hey, if you don't mind me asking... How long have you been in the army for?" I asked, all of the sudden feeling content with the man. I should be afraid or scared, but I'm not.